Suddenly won't rev at all

Yup, the battery is reading just above 12V when the bike is not running, and is reading the same when it is idling. When I touch the throttle it starts breaking down and popping and won't rev above 1,500 RPM, but the volts on the battery do not change.

Pick up coil checks out fine, 750 ohms between each colored wire to the black one. I may have to send my old stock rotor to get rewound and see if that will cure it, but I really don't want to spend the money if that won't fix it. I'm becoming convinced that it is something with the new rotor though.

No other ideas out there? Nobody else has run into this problem before?

check for ignition problems first i had the same problem with my 81 after replacing the rotor....the radioshack magnet and jb weld did the trick im thinking its the pick up...i would take a pice of copper wire and stick it in the spark plug wire and make a small gap to the plug start it up and watch what happens or a timing light works to

Already tried epoxying a magnet on the rotor. Also checked the TCI pick up and changed the TCI itself, nothing has fixed it.

I am havingthis same issue with my 81. I thought at first it was carb related, so I tore them apart and didn't find much. So. I put them back in and when I started it up it ran great! But I then noticed my headlight was not working. I found a plug on the left side came undone during my carb removal. I plugged it back in and headlight worked....but same stupid issue came back! I also just replace my charging rotor about 50 miles ago. Bike still charges well though. I will be doing some more digging into this in the next few days, let me know how you made out.

Ok, so the plug that I unplug on the left side of the has 7 wired and goes to the regulator rectifier CDI unit mounted to the frame, that cures my sputtering issues completely. If I plug it back in and unplug the one going to the tci under the battery tray, it wont even start.

So I pulled the tci unit, mounted under the battery tray. I wanted to inspect for any fried components or bad soldering job. Nothing really stood out to me as being bad, but then again I am no electronics wiz kid lol.

What do you guys think? I figured I would ask here first before starting another thread.

Ok, so the plug that I unplug on the left side of the has 7 wired and goes to the regulator rectifier CDI unit mounted to the frame, that cures my sputtering issues completely. If I plug it back in and unplug the one going to the tci under the battery tray, it wont even start.

So I pulled the tci unit, mounted under the battery tray. I wanted to inspect for any fried components or bad soldering job. Nothing really stood out to me as being bad, but then again I am no electronics wiz kid lol.

What do you guys think? I figured I would ask here first before starting another thread.

I would have already put a pamco in it. But thats just me

Back