Swing Arm

Hi - I´m also looking for a solution.

Swing arms normaly has to be adapted in with - xs650 is 200mm

Possible are:

RD watercooled models also with monoshock
Kawa GPZ-R
Zephyr 550 or 1100 -> that´s my actual one
?? GSXR 750 ´88 ??

It´s necessary to regard the with of the back-rim due to the space needed für the chain and that the chain is in the square angle to the sprockets.

Regards

Hollywood

Sorry to bring back an old thread. Though there were a ton of these, none of them actually answered my question...

I'm putting on the tx750 swing arm today and noticed the need to flatten "the tang on the brake pivot" - are there any downsides to that? Is there a reason the brake pivot has that bend in it?

Sorry to bring back an old thread. Though there were a ton of these, none of them actually answered my question...

I'm putting on the tx750 swing arm today and noticed the need to flatten "the tang on the brake pivot" - are there any downsides to that? Is there a reason the brake pivot has that bend in it?

I can't comment on other years, but on my '74 TX650, the stock swingarm is slightly relieved/dished in way of the brake pivot tang and pull-rod end. The TX750 swingarm is not relieved, as well as being a little larger in diameter. To clear the larger 'arm, you should need to move the clevis out board, away from the swingarm, and towards the inside of the frame a little. Flattening the tang will do that for you, but watch for problems with the return stop, return spring, switch, etc.

I converted to disc and just removed all the stock parts, so no clearance issues. I looked hard at using the stock brake with the TX750 swingarm, and it looks very tight even with a flattened tang, but totally possible. The kink in the tang gets the pull-rod lined-up with the arm on the drum brake.

As long as the forward end of the pull-rod and clevis doesn't touch anything, you might modify the arm on the drum to line everything up... then again, it might work fine without another bend. In any event, it's all very possible without heroic measures.

hi guys,,,, you could find a gsx1100 of a suzuki,,,, trim the width of the swingarm BOLT section ,, where the bearing go and slip it in ,,,,,or you could strengthen the underneath section of your standard swing arm ,,, they come up looking and working well ... regards oldbiker

Anyone looked into using a mid 80's YZ490 swingarm. The swingarm bolt is the same size as a xs, it is only about 3/8 wider,aluminum, and easy to work with.The xs dust shields fit the pivot. It will stretch the bike 3 to 4 inches. I haven't got the rear axle figured out yet as I don't have one yet. It is a little narrower by about a 1/4 inch tho.And you will have to weld on shock mounts

Last edited:
Back