Tacho Drive lock nut?

acebars

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
When I re-assembled my right cover I found that by tightening the tachometer lock nut I locked the tacho drive solid so it would not turn.

I'm pretty sure the lock nut and copper washer underneath where screwed all the way in and tight before I disassembled it.

When I came to re-assemble it I found the copper washer underneath to be lose, tightening it anymore means locking the tacho drive. Is this normal?

Sorry about the blurry image I am talking about the lock nut and copper washer pointed at in red, and parts 6 and 7 on the diagram.

Tacholocknut_zpscfe0b3d2.jpg

a-xs2-1970-1973-tachometer-gear_bigyau1211c-4_ba65.gif

The tip of part #6 fits into a hole in #1, thereby preventing #1 from turning or falling out. The drive, #8 should still turn. Make sure you have the hole in #1 lined up right so that the tip of #6 will engage it.

The tach drive shaft won't turn unless the oil pump drive is turning.
The crank drives the gear that turns the oil pump. There is a second gear on the oil pump shaft that engages the tach drive shaft. With the lock bolt tight try turning the oil pump drive gear, this should spin the tach drive shaft.
Your tach drive shaft part 8 should spin freely in part 1.
Leo

The tach drive shaft won't turn unless the oil pump drive is turning.
The crank drives the gear that turns the oil pump. There is a second gear on the oil pump shaft that engages the tach drive shaft. With the lock bolt tight try turning the oil pump drive gear, this should spin the tach drive shaft.
Your tach drive shaft part 8 should spin freely in part 1.
Leo

Yes, the trouble is if I turn lock nut #6 in too much #8 no longer spins freely in #1.

However in it's current state the copper washer #7 is loose whereas if I remember correctly I think it was tight when I first undid it.

The tach drive shaft cannot be removed but it's still not tight enough to stop the washer #7 flapping about.

..oh and Happy new Years!

DogBunny gave you the answer.

If the screw, (part 6), is not lined up with the hole in part 1 then it will be pushing against part 1 and that in turn will be pushing against part 8 so then part 6 cant bed because it is not in the hole of part 1 and part 7 will be loose until part 6 is lined up with the hole in part 1

This could be true or you have the same problem I have had before and need to file a little off the end of the bolt. As long as it tightens up against the washer and is in the hole you will be good to go.

Now get out of the garage and down the pub, you only have an hour left.

DogBunny gave you the answer.

If the screw, (part 6), is not lined up with the hole in part 1 then it will be pushing against part 1 and that in turn will be pushing against part 8 so then part 6 cant bed because it is not in the hole of part 1 and part 7 will be loose until part 6 is lined up with the hole in part 1

Oops re-read it indeed Dogbunny is correct. Thanks will sort it out tomorrow.

Now get out of the garage and down the pub, you only have an hour left.

:) Just had drinks with the family, we decided to stay home! Happy new years everyone!

Back