Tacho drive

Ben Mccree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, Having to do an engine swop as there is a horrible bearing type noise coming from somewhere. I will investigate it eventually.
In the meantime I have acquired a 1980's engine, but it has a blanking plug where the mechanical tacho drive goes and no locating hole in the bottom of the alloy clutch cover. It must have an electrical take off for the tacho and I have a mechanical one.
I am hoping to swop my XS2 cover for the one fitted, but thought I'd check with you guys just incase they are not compatable.

Cheers Ben :bike:

Could it have been modified? I know some people will block off the tach hole but I'm not aware of any that are like that from stock.

Mine is a 77. I just looked at the parts breakdown for an 83. The tach drive looks to be the same when it is stock. So as far as I KNOW they were all the same.

I don't believe any of the 650s had electrical tachos (or speedos)...I've ridden pre and post-79 xs's and that seems to be when most things changed. Mikesxs may have the part your missing if its the tacho threaded adapter (Part #51-6512). Post a picture if thats not the case.

I capped the tacho off on my bike, you can get a good idea of where you are from the sound...

Back