TACHOMETER DRIVE HOUSING and that STRANGE BOLT

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers,

The tachometer cable fits to the front top of the right hand side engine casing. It attaches to the threaded housing you see in one of the photos. I've just bought one on eBay. All I am missing is that stange housing bolt you can see. I looks 6mm with a hex head. The tip of the bolt does not have thread - but the threaded bit threads into the rhs casing and the tip is meant to locate in that hole in the drive housing to prevent it (the housing) from turning when the tacho cable spins.

I can't get one of those strange bolts anywhere, so I wondered if it is possible to fab one? Any ideas? By the way, what is the name of that type of bolt?

ANLAF

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!lMFJ0wWikRhBSd)Z1GUEg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!lMFJ0wWikRhBSd)Z1GUEg~~60_57.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 200
  • $(KGrHqZ,!nYFJ)Lb5jEtBSd)bpVzQg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!nYFJ)Lb5jEtBSd)bpVzQg~~60_57.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 194
yeah, just make one. put a nut on it first, then carefully grind the first few threads off, then take the nut off to rethread.
I wouldn't buy anything from mikes, The shipping across the pond would be out of this world!

Fellers,

The tachometer cable fits to the front top of the right hand side engine casing. It attaches to the threaded housing you see in one of the photos. I've just bought one on eBay. All I am missing is that stange housing bolt you can see. I looks 6mm with a hex head. The tip of the bolt does not have thread - but the threaded bit threads into the rhs casing and the tip is meant to locate in that hole in the drive housing to prevent it (the housing) from turning when the tacho cable spins.

I can't get one of those strange bolts anywhere, so I wondered if it is possible to fab one? Any ideas? By the way, what is the name of that type of bolt?

ANLAF

Yes, you can fabricate one yourself. The one on my bike was badly damaged. I used a regular bolt, and ground the threads off the end to fit into the hole in the sleeve. Very easy to do.

Thanks, fellers. Yes, shipping costs have got me down (ludicrous to pay nearly the same again for customs duty). I'll do some careful filing and measuring.

One thing, I've put an O-ring on that drive housing will that be enough to prevent oil leaks?

ANLAF

Back