Tachometer studs stripped/sheared

pslaughter

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The studs on my tachometer (the ones that hold it inside the housing, with small acorn nuts) are done. One was sheared off when I bought the bike and the others threads stripped when I was replacing the tach rubber. Are these permanently mounted or could I throw a pair of vice-grips on them or drill them out and replace? Any suggestions would be helpful, the instrument itself is in good shape so I'd like to keep it. Thanks!

FYI this is what the '76 tach bolts look like. After looking for a used one it seems it was only like this for a couple years? It seems to me to look like studs in bosses on the back here. Guess I can try and pull them out as it's either that or a new gauge
s-l400.jpg

I've had the tach bodies broken down to add turn and neutral indicator lights but never really looked to see how those bolts are incorporated into the housing.....could be pressed through from the inside or molded in when cast. I believe I'd get the glass bezel off and the tach out for a final inspection as to the how to's

Is it easy to get the bezel off? I think I've read over the procedure before, you have to pop the chrome rim off around the edges? Is that right? Nevermind found a good thread on it. Thanks!

Back