Taller gearing and long fifth, overkill?

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello

I am considering selling my XS650, because it is not comfortable at 130km/h.

I am thinking of getting a taller gearing and a long fifth, but would that be overkill?

I'm 70kg geared up, and my engine is stock, besides a PAMCO ignition.

XSjohn was a lightweight, a bit less than you and he ran 18/29- if I'm not mistaken- and ran the interstate highway.
I'm running 17/32 at this time, just weighed in at about 80 kg. and I'm contemplating mikes 5th gear. 17/32 gets me around the corners well in 2nd but lacks in the top speeds.
No matter what my gearing I don't think I'd be going 130 km/h for any length of time.

130 kpm = 80.77825 mph

I weigh 220 lbs and carry about 50 pounds of gear/fiberglass saddlebags and Rifle Superbike Fairing. I'm currently running 18-34 gearing and comfortably cruise at 60-70 mph (96.56-112.65 Kph) with stock 5th gear. I usually stay in the saddle about 2 hours before taking 5 to stretch my legs, drink a drink and pee out the last drink.

Going to 18-33 or 17-32 final gearing plus the 15% overdrive from Mikes would get you close to your goal of 130 kpm comfort.

The advantage of the 15% overdrive is that it allows you to keep your secondary gearing closer to stock for hauling loads, taking off and pulling off of corners. I have a 5th gear overdrive but don't plan to install it until the dead of winter.

I've no idea how your XS is equipped but here's some other things that will help:
Barsnake http://barsnake.com/ (Amazing difference)
Quiet pipes with crossovers. Crossovers can be hard to get/make but quiet pipes are easy. I'm running Taper Tip Muffler with brass wool stuffed inside
Fairing or windshield I rode for 30 years without a fairing but won't ride across the street without a fairing now.
Gelpad https://www.sonnyproductionsmerchandise.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=11
Balance carbs
Dual Color Fin Grip Set: Part #02-2488 http://www.mikesxs.net/products-59.html#products (They're cheap, will only last about a year, ugly and comfortable as all get out.
Tires designed for touring
High speed tire balancing if you can find a shop that can do it.
Half shell helmet with zip out ear covers but keep the covers on year 'round.
Bar end weights if the Barsnake isn't enough.
set your shocks to a softer setting. Mine are set as low as they will go.

I'll be trying a taller gearing for starters.

I lost the socket I normally use for frontsprockets, isn't it a 36mm or something?

Would a barsnake work in clubman bars? Thinking the tight bends might obstruct

Would a barsnake work in clubman bars? Thinking the tight bends might obstruct

Ask 'em, I'm sure they'd know better than I.

Anyone else try a bar snake in clubman bars?

You will need a helper to install a bar snake unless you take your bar off and lock it in a vice.

PS. They also sell Liquid Bar Snake you pour in your bar and allow to dry.

Last edited:
I'm running 18/30 and the 5th gear overdrive. I'm 250 some odd LBS and I can pull 120mph no problem and cruseing at 80mph is much nicer then it was before. I also stretched the swing arm 4" and put on new shocks.

Reyclebill,
How would you describe the improvment using the barsnake? Did it eliminate the vibes completly, by half or move them to a different rpm? Curious because I'm thinking of trying one.
Thanks

I'm running 18/30 and the 5th gear overdrive. I'm 250 some odd LBS and I can pull 120mph no problem and cruseing at 80mph is much nicer then it was before. I also stretched the swing arm 4" and put on new shocks.

How much did the 4" stretch lower your seat height? And are your new shocks shorter/longer/the same length? I'm curious as I've pondered a swingarm stretch to get myself lower behind my windshield/fairing as it's about 2" too short.

How much did the 4" stretch lower your seat height? And are your new shocks shorter/longer/the same length? I'm curious as I've pondered a swingarm stretch to get myself lower behind my windshield/fairing as it's about 2" too short.

Well my frame is not stock so its hard to say how far it would lower you but I lowered me by 4" and my pasanger is about where I used to be.
full

Back