Tapered Bearings - Which race goes in the bottom?

btxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting a set of Balls Tapered bearings in my 83 and am not sure which race goes in the bottom. I think it should be the thicker of the two? Can anyone confirm this? Also, I can't get the bottom bearing to go all the way to the bottom of the shaft. I've read a couple other threads and it seems that some are either machining the shaft or using a spacer of some type. Do I need a spacer or will it work just the same without? I don't want to have to machine it down.

There is no spacer needed . Im about 90% sure there larger race went in the top.it actually sticks out of there neck about a eigth inch

Yes, the bearings themselves will only fit one way but the races will fit in either position over the stem. I just thought it was strange that the taller of the two races went on top because it stuck up out of the neck on the top, but I guess that is normal with these.

hi guys,, yes ,,,larger bearing to the bottom ,,make sure you do put the "o" back around the bottom of the stem before putting the larger bearing on and the correct way,,, you could heat up some cheap motor oil with the bearing in it ,,let it stay in for a while 1/2hr -1 hr.. max meanwhile polish the stem with some wet/dry 350-400 or some emery strip both are fairly cheap hope this helps you regards oldbiker

Also, throw your races/ stem tree in the freezer over night. It will make them go in 10 times easier. I actually had access to bottled nitrogen last time I did one. I could tell it was going to be a fight so I sprayed them until they were frosty. They still fit tight, but went in immediately and I could also tell they where seated correctly.

I had the correct bearings in the right place but had switched the larger race to go in the bottom and smaller on top because it looked like it fit better on top. I should have know when the bottom race kept trying to fall out and when I tightened the top, it broke the bottom race. I must not have had it seated all the way. Now I've got the correct race in the bottom and seated all the way, the stem went in just right. Now I have to try to find a replacement for the top race. Probably going to have to get a whole new set now since I doubt I'll find just one. Live and learn I guess.

OK guys last try....the two sets of bearings involved have to have a larger ID for the set that needs fit the lower portion of the stem ie. 30mm. The top section of the stem is smaller at 25mm
and fits the more narrow portion of the stem. Outside OD's are 48mm for both

photos courtesy of thexscafe.com

Please note the rather obvious differences in internal ID. From the chart also note that bearings are not interchangeable fits in the races. ie. don't mix them up.

Bearings dimensions: Upper 25 x 48 x 15.2 Lower 30 x 48 x 15

Attachments

• tapered bearings 1.jpg
    tapered bearings 1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 2006-01-07SteeringBearings04.jpg
    2006-01-07SteeringBearings04.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Your missing the point. He knows what bearings to use. The question was about the race. You can easily mix them up.

OK guys last try....the two sets of bearing have to have a larger ID for the set that fits the lower portion of the stem ie. 30mm. The top section of the stem is smaller at 25mm
and fits that more narrow portion of the stem.

photos courtesy of thexscafe.com

Please note the rather obvious differences in internal ID. From the chart also note that bearings are not interchangeable in size. ie. don't mix them up.

When you got them the upper was with it's proper race, the lower with it's proper race. To tell which went where the bearing with the big center hole goes on the lower, the smaller goes in the upper.
The race that came with the bearing with the larger hole goes on the stem of the tree. You should put the seal on first. Slide the bearing down on the stem I then used a piece of pipe that just fits over the stem and rested on the inner race and tapped it down till it went no further.
After assenbly and adjusting, ride it a few miles and recheck adjustment. You may want to check adjustment a few more times to be sure that the races are fully seated in the head of the frame.

Where can I find parts 15,8,7,and 1, got new bearings for a basket case. But the boxes was miss some parts.:laugh:

Attachments

• steeringxs650dee006501f-xs650d-1977-1979_bigyau0812e-9_f229.jpg
    steeringxs650dee006501f-xs650d-1977-1979_bigyau0812e-9_f229.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 243
Mike's has some of those parts.
#15 comes as a two piece set, bolt and washer, chromed, #49-0752 $8 per set
#8 you need two, #49-0750 $3 each
#7 Yamaha part #136-23415-00-00
#1 Yamaha part #164-23462-00-00
www.boats.net has both listed. #7 $3.03, #1 $2.33
The dealer maybe able to get #7 and #1, they used both on many years and models.

On the races I think the taller, thicker, depends on your point of view, is the top race.

Just did this installation yesterday and found that the thicker race (per a call to All BAlls) does indeed go in the top of the steering head. However, it does stick up out of the steering head more than the original, which created a bit of a problem. The extra space made the headlight ears fit loose in the tree - had to buy a couple of washers to take up the slack. And, as everybody else said, DON'T forget to put the seal on the stem before you install the lower bearing! I did... My bike (72 XS2) had the most Godawful center notch in the stock bearings - would have been a true cruise control - so long as you only wanted to go straight!

I'm such a dummy.
I think I switched the races.
I'm using the
SSY500 bearings.

I installed one race in the top it sticks out of the top of the neck like (like others have reported) The number of the race I have left is 48YS.
Is that the correct one to go in the bottom?

Thanks in advance
Rick

I switched them up all right

for future reference:
on the SSY500 Set
Bearing 25Y with Race 48YS goes in the top
Bearing 30Y with Race 48KS goes in the bottom.

Rick

Back