Tappet cover removal

gasgas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have 1980 XS650-SG and can not remove intake tappet covers because they are blocked by the carburetor? Do I really need to remove the carburetors to remove the tappet cover?

I don't know much of the bikes history, but it's not a matching number bike and was in pretty rough shape when got it. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20160214_172448.jpg
    20160214_172448.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 200
I have 1980 XS650-SG and can not remove intake tappet covers because they are blocked by the carburetor? Do I really need to remove the carburetors to remove the tappet cover?

Hi gasgas and welcome,
because of those super-short aftermarket carb holders, I suppose you do.
Hey, you should pull the carbs anyway so they can be cleaned properly.
Options for reassembly:-
go back to stock carb holders.
Or, if there's a major advantage to keeping the shorties,
pull the tappet cover studs and replace them with Allen head capscrews which you can remove and then slide the covers off sideways.

Thanks for the welcome. Problem is I just rebuilt carbs, new carb holders and air box parts to make it stock. Will the shorties now make the stock air box parts not fit? If so I should just buy the correct carb holders now and try to sell the shorties?
Thanks

I'm not positive but the holders might be on upside down? IE swap them left to right side.

Kinda looks like your carbs are angled up...

carb detail.jpg

I dugout the old carb holders and they are about the same length or very close to the new short holders (see photo). Not sure if the new holders came from Mikes or JBM? How much longer are the stock holders and where do you suggest I find them.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160216_182154.jpg
    20160216_182154.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 162
81 carb detail.jpg

81 stock manifolds have vacuum ports. The ports should be located like this one is.

The manifolds do have a slight angle, but they "can" be mounted upside down if swapped left for right. It's sometimes snug but I have always been able to get the tappet covers off with the carbs on.

As often as you will be removing the valve adjuster covers the Allen head bolt idea isn't so good. It won't take to may times of removing the bolts to wear the threads enough so they may not stay tight.
The studs are set in the head and the nuts won't wear the steel studs near as much as steel bolts in aluminum will.
You won't have to remove the carbs completely. Just pull the bolts that hold the holders on and lower the carbs enough to get the covers off.
Leo

Hi Leo,
it looks like the OP's inlet covers won't come off with the carbs in place because the inlet manifolds are too short &/or inverted.
The best fix is to replace the manifolds with full length ones installed right way up.
If the OP just gotta use the existing manifolds, upgrading the tapped holes with Helicoils set mebbe one turn down from the gasket face will allow Allen screw removal & replacement without excessive distortion.

I able to take the day yesterday and yes the manafolds I had installed up side down! Now corrected the tappet covers can be removed with carbs in place.
Thanks all for your input.

Back