tc bros wiring kit

jamesgs4

fuck this, let's ride!
Reaction score
I about jumped for joy when I saw this for sale. I really really really really hate wiring and this is like a godsend lol. I had trimmed my factory harness but ive been having probs with the old crusty connections and brittle wires. I have been dreading the day I would have to rewire the whole bike, but now its gonna be easy as pie. Ill post a review as soon as i install it.
8084harness.JPG

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=93

Please do. I am interested in this harness as well. I haven't seen a XS with good connectors ever. Would be worth it just for the ease of building and good clean connections.

Only thing I don't like about it are those dam wire taps. Might be enough wire there to swap them out with a butt connector and some heat shrink though.

Only thing I don't like about it are those dam wire taps. Might be enough wire there to swap them out with a butt connector and some heat shrink though.

Yeah the first thing I am going to do is get rid of those crappy things. I am going to strip the wire and solder the splice and heat shrink it.

Why not buy the connectors from http://www.vintageconnections.com/ ?

Hate to step on someone else's business, but you could buy the connectors, wire, crimper, plus your time for less.

Rewiring my bike completely has been a dreaded chore that I have been putting off. I had originally planned to just get rid of all the factory connectors and build a new harness from scratch. it would take me more than 8 hours of labor to do that(I am horribly slow when it comes to wiring!) so this kit really simplifies what I am trying to do.
I still plan on eliminating the big connectors, now I don't have to worry about messing up
and missing some wires.

Last edited:
your stock harness has all the connectors you need
a good wiring diagram and 5bucks worth of solder and shrink wrap and it's done.

seriously it's not that hard

I know its just that I hate it. I'll do mechanical and paintwork all day and enjoy it, but I really hate the task of running wires and soldering.

Wiring is fun and rewarding and good for the whole family.If you have had anxiety in the past ask your Dr if these connections are right for you

Only thing I don't like about it are those dam wire taps.

Yep, I'm NOT a fan of scotch locks

Wiring is fun and rewarding and good for the whole family.If you have had anxiety in the past ask your Dr if these connections are right for you

I hate wiring myself, but bit the bullet an did it. My bike is going to my GF's uncle's after I get outta work today to be finish wired. I got 175 ft of wires for 27 bux. I just have to get the heat shrink tubing. Its gonna be nice and neat after this is all done.

For $70.00 I would expect 21 yo Scotch, not scotch locks. The idea of a pre-made, basic wiring harness is dead on, and I think TC Bros could have a good product. But the price point for what they are selling seems high (IMHO). The product would seem more high quality if they had taken the time to solder the splices. Then again, with no ready made bobber wiring harness competition, they can charge what they want.

Please let us know how the harness looks in person, and if it is a direct "bolt on," and the instructions are good. I would be willing to pay 70.00 if I thought that the product was higher quality than what I could piece together using one of the many chopper wiring diagrams, and if the instructions were excellent and took all the time and guess work out of the process.

Btw- not including wire or time, you could buy all the connectors at Mikes or other places for about 12-15 dollars (US).

Last edited:
Nothing better than good old fashion solder and shrink tubing with a little dielectric thrown in for good measure. You can buy all those connections at mikes for a buck or two

Lol all of you guys saying this only costs a few dollars to do this yourself live too far from me. I would gladly give you 4 dollars to rewire my entire bike, I would even buy you lunch! And zoom, I'll post the instructions as soon as it arrives.

Last edited:
I eliminated all connectors on my homemade harness. Everything is soldered, shrink tubed and wrapped. This could present some problems for troubleshooting I realize, but it's worth it to me to know I have a good connection. I left all the wires a little long in case I have to cut and resolder.

I eliminated all connectors on my homemade harness. Everything is soldered, shrink tubed and wrapped. This could present some problems for troubleshooting I realize, but it's worth it to me to know I have a good connection. I left all the wires a little long in case I have to cut and resolder.

exactly what I am doing right now. :thumbsup:

This is something I battle with... clean wiring (hardwired) vs. ease of swapping out parts and trouble shooting when you think something isn't right (using connectors). I like having connectors for testing. If you suspect a bad regulator, just unplug it and plug in a new one. Can't do that when everything is hardwired. At the same time, I don't like old clunky big connectors. :shrug:

Update
So I finally rewired my bike, and I ended up using only part of the TC bros kit, the plug for the ignition box and coil(and I got rid of those cheap wire tap things). The rest I just cut down and soldered the connections and used heatshrink tube. I only wanted to keep the TCI box plug, and the rest I cut out. The old crusty plastic connections were all crap from years of battery acid dripping on them. All that is left is tucked under my seat next to the battery.
Before
138.jpg

After
1303687320.jpg

The rats nest finally gone!
1303607895.jpg

Last edited:
Back