TC Bros wiring kit

I purchased a 6pin CDI wiring harness from TC Bros for my 1980 xs650. I followed the instructions perfectly but it keeps shorting out when i turn the keys. I have narrowed it down to the red and brown wires from the kit that are supposed to connect to the ignition switch from the rectifier/regulator (brown wire) and from the CDI (Red wire). Any suggestions?

I don't know about the TC Bro's wiring, but I know wiring basics.
The red wire from the reg/rec goes too the battery, through a fuse. You should hook the main switch to the rec/reg side of the fuse. After the key power goes out to the red/white wire at your TCI, not cdi, and the coil. This makes the bike run.
Power from the switch also feeds the brown wire to the reg/rec and the brown wire brush.
I wired my bike. The red wire from the reg/rec I fed through a 20 amp fuse, after the fuse I ran a red wire to the battery and the main switch.
From there I feed a fuse block.
From one 7.5 amp fuse I powered the ignition. Through a kill switch.
From one 10 amp fuse I ran a brown wire to the regulator and one to the brown brush wire. The other brush has a green wire this goes to the green wire of the regulator. This with the three wite wires and the black wire from the reg/rec to ground hooked up should make it charge.
One 10 amp fuse feeds the head and tail light and dash lights.
One 10 amp fuse feeds the brake light switches, this can also feed the turn signals, and horn.
The starter relay should get power from the kill switch, no sence in running the starter without the kill switch on.
I would check all your wiring to be sure everthing is hooked right and power is getting where it should and it's not shorting anywhere.

This is as basic as you can get, but no starter stuff so follow Leo's explanation.

Attachments

• 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 117
my 81 has the 8 pin tcbros wiring . the red and brown hook to the ignition side on a universal key switch.i know u can hook the wiring backwards cause i did it lol. so start with checking that .

I figured it out.... had the smallest short up by the ignition cable..... thanks for all your help

Back