TCI box

Yes all TCIs "will work" you can just clip away a bit of the plastic if needed to plug them in, the wire positions "match" as is. Done and tested both ways, 6 to 8 and 8 to 6.

TCI boiler plate
Confirm it's the TCI that's the problem. You have to do the full troubleshoot to know.
Welding on your frame will destroy the TCI.
Some TCI problems can be fixed. blown transistor, blown output diodes, bad solder joints. Lots of threads with details on what to do.

TCI is the correct term, the others are just common terms but not correct!
There, the XS nazi has spoken!

AFAIK that Xs400 module that Yeats has will not do a thing for your XS650, different animal. I am not aware of ANYTHING other than an XS650 TCI working with a stock XS650 TCI ignition system. Go ahead please prove me wrong :D

AFAIK that Xs400 module that Yeats has will not do a thing for your XS650, different animal. I am not aware of ANYTHING other than an XS650 TCI working with a stock XS650 TCI ignition system. Go ahead please prove me wrong :D
I did not know if it would or not.. thanks for the input/lesson..

TCI stands for Transistor Controlled Ignition. CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition. They both tell the coil when to fire but do it in two different ways. Google them.
On the later years of the TCI, it had an extra black/white wire. This wire run up to the side stand relay. Which got inputs from both the side stand and neutral light. You could start the bike in neutral, but if you put it in gear without putting up the side stand the relay grounded this black/white wire and stopped the engine. They didn't want you riding around with the side stand down. If you plugged one of these later TCI boxes into an earlier version there is no connection for this extra wire.
Leo

Last edited:
Back