TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

On the other hand this image looks pretty close to where we are.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.30.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.46.57 AM.png Still shot from Jim's videoI wonder about the line on the rotor that lines up with the tdc mark. A full advance witness mark?
Jim
if you have a TCI rotor loose and it also has this mark I wonder how many degrees from the mark to the real position mark on the rotor. That will confirm how many degrees advance we're seeing

160615-72802415cda1bc9bd2e57fa45bce6069.jpg

From this image taken from above I see the TDC in alignment at the right and the timing mark at full advance very closely aligned with the grove in the alternator cover at the 6 o'clock position. To me this means everything is pretty much aligned correctly ignoring parallax issues.

About 2 degrees short of the max advance. Notice the mark that lines up with TDC.
Sharpest frame I could come up with. She was doing the 650 centerstand dance at the time.

View attachment 168126

That looks to be good enough for the girls I go with TJ and Jim!

Again - well done team!

Approximation for Parallax: Place a straight edge on the computer screen and align it along the left side of the rubber of the gear shifter. Then carefully slide the straight edge to the left, keeping it parallel to the rubber, and you will find the timing mark lines up with the right edge of the groove at 6 o'clock. So may be it is out by a 1 or 2 degrees, but several run their bikes successfully retarded more than that.

It is all looking good there Super Heroes :cheers:

Unfortunately it looks like too much advance to me. But I don't understand how the Gonzo unit speced at 20° of advance would do 40° or more when hooked up to the 650? Might connecting the idle pick-up and advance pick-up together and then connecting both to the Gonzo's pick-up + tab do anything? Maybe cut down the amount of advance? But maybe it's all just the angle of the photos, hope so.

Those earlier photos with the superimposed degree wheels do not make any sense to me i.e. the ones where we have 60 odd degrees advance. I have ignored them and base my observations on the photos from Jim's timing light video. Also I believe the reference to the timing marks from HHB is not relevant. The position of the timing marks and TDC mark are all relative to where the manufacture chooses to fit the pickup coil.

As I have said a couple of times I think things look very good, but I like the timing slightly retarded - Some do not! It would be nice to duplicate the original TCI timing exactly, but it is not essential? The big opinion we need now is from Jim as to how the bike rides and feels. I assume it will take a couple of weeks for Jim to get a good feel for the ignition.

Last edited:
The timing marks relate to where the rotor is marked. With the HHB sticker, you set the motor at TDC, then mark the PMA rotor yourself to match TDC on the sticker.

And, I'm thinking that if we retard the timing a bit to get a better Idle (and maybe stave off the pop, spit and die at idle) we would lose the same amount at the advance end?

Yes, however much you change idle timing will change full advance timing the same. This is because the advance is a set amount (25° stock). Add 25° to the stock 15° idle timing and you get 40° full advance. Reduce your idle timing to, say, 13°, add 25° and you get 38° for full advance.

5twins mentioned above about the 20 degree vs 40 degree issue. What is the angle between the two sensors on the stock TCI?

superimposed degree wheels do not make any sense to me i.e. the ones where we have 60 odd degrees advance

I'm not putting a lot of faith in the degree wheel photos.
I think we are definitely seeing more than 20 degrees, maybe as much as 30 total advance. The plan all along was to set the pickup to produce the desired total advance and let the idle fall where it may.

I went and scrounged up a non tci stator cover with the full advance mark in the barn and looking at that we are not that far out from where we need it to fall.

I know Jim and I'm sure he is measuring closely to figure out where we are.

Made a template for a 35-40° advance range. Transferred that to a spare pointer I had and to the stator. Drilled and tapped the stator.... put it all back together and here's the videos. I'm gonna spend some time trying to get some good screen grabs but here's where we're at right now. I suspect I have a bad box. Yeah.... 15 bucks from china and I expected it to work fine.... go figure. :cautious:
When you first fire it up and rev the bike, the advance is well north of 40°.... maybe 45-50°? I'll try and pin it down on the grabs. After 30 sec. or so it settles down to what looks like maybe 10-15° advance. Like I said, I need to get some grabs... you guys can join in on that front too. I'll comment more when I know more. As It stands, I'll prolly wait 'till someone else gets one running to see how their box behaves. I'm hoping it's just a fluke and I just need to order a new box and send this one back.

adv pointer1.jpg

adv pointer2.jpg

adv pointer3.jpg

adv pointer4.jpg

adv pointer5.jpg

adv pointer6.jpg

adv pointer7.jpg

Last edited:
Back