Tearing down my 77 continues....

The tach I will install. The speedo will go into reserve. I have a set with an ignition switch and key that are not so hot in a box. I'll put my incorrect tach I'm taking off and the speedo from you with the set and sell the speedo and tach that are on there on ebay I suppose. It's 9PM and I've been going since 8AM. My ass is dragging.

Christmas in April! Santa mailman has brought me a gift. Well sort of...JC Whitney sent them. The adapters (per Pete's suggestion) came from O Reilly Auto parts for $5 or so.
IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Last edited:
Yes those look nice on too. And the chrome seems to be of good quality. That 's what's on my silent so far 77

I'm betting, at least from the appearance, that the clutch push rod seal and this counter sprocket seal have been changed by a PO.
0505101844.jpg

New 17 tooth
0505101844a.jpg

Better get off my lazy ass. But business is keeping me busy! Can't turn down money. AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!
0505101854.jpg

I have the right side cover off, clutch removed and am investigating my starter bendix gear etc. I think from looking at removed parts they are all there? Why the split washer? :shrug:
starterbendixstuff.jpg

here's the same shot from an 81
starter.jpg

starter1.jpg

This went back together and worked great after a clip squeeze and removing the chunks of drive cushion spring hanging out there. I think xsjohn talked about leaving out the big spring or reshaping it so it did not restrict the full engagement of the gear teeth?

- not leaking?-dont touch it

- could make something like this
2004-10-09GearShifterProtector01.jpg

- and run the cable so
2007-10-22Wiring01.jpg

- you mean the sprocket lock washer?-probably been reused after replacing the sprocket

- could be chain lubricant thats been thrown off the chain or oil from the seal behind the sprocket or from the shift shaft or from the push rod seal-clean and run, youll soon find out
- behind the cover are the starter reduction gears and seal

If your running the 18 tooth sprocket is it necessary to make something like how you did or would running the sprocket without it ok?

its ok to run with out it just make sure to keep up your chain tension as it will start to rattle on the shift shaft if too loose. i just used the rubber off of my kickstart haha

Back