tech ?? on claw adjustment

bigdawg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
81 xs....had hang up on shifter...took it apart claw and star a little out...wanted to readjust...well after 100 posible trys...my question is by the book says.2nd 3rd 4th..center up claw on the star...all gears seem to have slight variation after i set in one gear....should it stay perfectly centered in all other gears??..seems to have less variance if i set in 4th....if i set perfect in 2nd...4th seems way off...thanx for any input....side note..were there alot of bikes from this era.that had similar.type adjustment ?? did yamaha design this possibly compensating for a weaker link inside..pins or dowels..i know there is two...just thinkin thanx again for any input

The shiftdrum has 5 pins, which should be equally spaced at 72°.

The drum stopper (spring arm with big wheel) plops that wheel onto the space between pins. If the axle pin, and/or arm pivot hole, for that wheel is loose or worn, it could give inconsistent positioning.

Some help on centering the shifter claw (post #19):

http://www.xs650.com/threads/finding-neutral-while-stopped-and-in-gear.47568/

If you can't resolve the variations in the claw centering, I suppose that finding a happy medium (some position that gives best centering for all positions) would suffice.

Also, be sure that the claw stays in the slot between the drum and plate. That long shift arm, and long claw arm, are easily bent out of lateral alignment with that slot, and can cause hangups. Do this check with the shift shaft pushed fully to the left (inward). The arms are easily bent back to normal. Also check the washer and circlip that retains the shiftshaft, under the sprocket. I like to have no more than 1mm in/out play with that shaft. Helps to keep the claw in its slot...

Last edited:

The drum stopper (spring arm with big wheel) plops that wheel onto the space between pins. If the axle pin, and/or arm pivot hole, for that wheel is loose or worn, it could give inconsistent positioning.

If you can't resolve the variations in the claw centering, I suppose that finding a happy medium (some position that gives best centering for all positions) would suffice.

Also, be sure that the claw stays in the slot between the drum and plate. That long shift arm, and long claw arm, are easily bent out of lateral alignment with that slot, and can cause hangups. Do this check with the shift shaft pushed fully to the left (inward). The arms are easily bent back to normal. Also check the washer and circlip that retains the shiftshaft, under the sprocket. I like to have no more than 1mm in/out play with that shaft. Helps to keep the claw in its slot...

all pins and stopper looks flawless.. new complete rebuild not me...does shift flawless now..but still have variation..in other gears after setting in 4th cked other thread..and set with drill bit...

These are a rather crude engine .if it shifts fine, leave it alone. There is no "snick snick" shifting like a newer bike. It is what it is. If you can find all gears without popping out of second, your good to go.

Back