Tech Spec on frame??

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I have been asked by my engineer to specify what the specification for the steel is in a stock XS frame. He also wants to know what the spec of the steel is in my hardtail from Elswick. I know its DOM 1" diameter x .120" wall but what is the grade of steel in both frames???

Need to get this info for him to pass the rigid and get it legal on road.

I have been asked by my engineer to specify what the specification for the steel is in a stock XS frame. He also wants to know what the spec of the steel is in my hardtail from Elswick. I know its DOM 1" diameter x .120" wall but what is the grade of steel in both frames???

Need to get this info for him to pass the rigid and get it legal on road.
...................................hi,,, if your engineer is only wanting specs for the vicroad reg,,, ,,,he,s going over board,,,, you should have a plate with full details on the headstock,,, which satisfies vicroad,,, because they look at that plate or details,,, ,,and the hardtail company should be able to send you an email ,,,,,on the steel spec of the steel used ,and weld etc ,,,emails are legal in australia ,,,then just print it off ,,,regards oldbiker

Oldbiker - NO plate on neck it predates them. Only got frame number. He wants it due to the differential between stresses or some such.

I have emailed the supplier of the hardtail waiting to hear.

Punklskalar - Which part are you referring to? Original or Hardtail???

I might have misled you, DOM is 1020 Low Carbon Steel:

DOM Steel Tube
Analysis Mechanical Properties Applications Machineability and Weldability Heat Treating Speedy Metals items

(Drawn Over Mandrel). DOM Steel Tube is produced using uniformly high quality C1020 steel strip and is formed and electric resistance welded into its basic shape. After annealing to produce a uniform grain structure throughout, the tube is then cold drawn over a mandrel to give it these advantages: uniform concentricity around the central axis, better ovality, closer tolerances, denser surface, uniform wall thickness, and higher physical properties. The cold working process works the weld area to produce a sound, dense, and homogeneous structure comparable to that of the base metal. The weld line disappears, causing DOM tube to be virtually seamless. The surface is superior to that of regular seamless tubing, since the material has been cold drawn from strip steel. The hole is straight and concentric with the outside diameter. DOM Steel Tube may be machined, formed, welded, carburized, and subjected to other fabricating techniques that are ordinarily applied to low carbon steel. The use of DOM Steel Tube gives you a guaranteed micro-inch surface and lower productions costs by reducing or eliminating such operations as boring, honing, and finishing.
ANALYSIS
Carbon (C) Manganese (Mn) Phosphorus (P)

Max
Sulfur (S)

Max
0.05-0.26 0.3-0.6 0.04 0.05

DOM Steel Tube generally conforms to ASTM A513 Type 5
MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
Condition Tensile Strength (PSI) Yield Strength (PSI) Elongation in 2" Rockwell Hardness
Up to 2-3/4" OD x .125 max wall 80,000 70,000 15 B80
Over 2-3/4" OD with walls Heavier than .125" 70,000 60,000 20 B80

APPLICATIONS

DOM Steel Tube can be used for a wide variety of mechanical applications. It may be used either statically or dynamically. Its close tolerances, good finish, and dense structure make it ideal for parts such as bearings, shafts, cylinders, axles, bushings, collets, conveyor rolls, couplings, fittings, telescoping and push-pull applications, steering columns, shift levers, airbag inflators, damper tubes, power seat mechanisms, engine mounts, fuel rails and injection components, motorcycle and snowmobile frames, supports and guards, diesel injection components, piston pins, seat assembly components, torque wrenches, extensions and handles, shanks, etc.
MACHINEABILITY AND WELDABILITY

Machinability is rated at 78% of B1112. Average cutting speed 130 ft/min. This grade is easily welded by all welding processes including gas, air, and submerges arc, and the resultant welds and joints are of extremely high quality. Preheat and post-weld heating is generally not necessary.
HEAT TREATING

DOM Steel Tube will respond to any carburizing method and subsequent heat treatments. Case hardening results in a hard case and relatively soft core. Carburize at 1650°-1700°, oil or water quench and temper at 300°. Carburizing depth is typically .060-.070".

OEM Frame is 1018 Mild Steel, Welded Seam

Good info that's the sort of data I think he needs.

Where did you find that oOEM Frame is 1018 Mild Steel, Welded Seam

I wish I could remember where I found it, but Ive cut enough of them to know they aren't Chromoly or DOM :laugh:. I think it was in some of the old Literature from production days - might be able to find it if I look real deep around here...

I wish I could remember where I found it, but Ive cut enough of them to know they aren't Chromoly or DOM :laugh:. I think it was in some of the old Literature from production days - might be able to find it if I look real deep around here...

Pics or it didn't happen... :laugh:laugh:

If you could come up with a source it be good, I trust you but I think the engineer will want a cited source.

OR if you have an idea of where it came form I can try google it.

Back