Test oil pump?

XSNate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Any way to see if the pump is working? I can ride for a while and I'm sure it's getting pretty warm, the valves seem to get louder when the oil thins down. But I'm wondering if I could make darn sure the pump is working "good".

Not really. there are ways to measure the clearance between the rotors and the rotors and housing, if the specs are good the pump is good.
Another thing you can do is open the valve adjustment covers and run the engine, if you get oil all over the place the pump is working.
Leo

gaugetap.jpg

Drill and tap a hole in the oil filter cover and attach a 0 to 20 PSI gauge. You can then either use a threaded plug to replace the gauge line, install an oil pressure gauge or get another oil filter cover on EBay.

The oil system is a nominal 15 PSI system, but that is when the engine is cool. The pressure will go from 20 PSI on startup to 3 PSI at 3,000 RPM when the engine is hot. You will see close to zero at idle when the engine is hot.

loosen one of the oil feed banjo bolts on top of the head oil will come out even by kicking it over or the e-start.

Any way to see if the pump is working? I can ride for a while and I'm sure it's getting pretty warm, the valves seem to get louder when the oil thins down. But I'm wondering if I could make darn sure the pump is working "good".

Oil pumps on engines don't just stop working. If you think about it, the pump and its driving parts are well lubricated with oil, so they don't wear out.

Use a good quality 20W50 motorcycle oil, and it will not thin down. If you are using a thinner grade oil, that may be why you are hearing things. These engines make a bit of noise, which is normal. Don't compare these engines with modern engines.

I will try thicker oil and see if it's better. The valves are in check and do tick a bit, but as you say these are a bit noisy. I'm afraid when hot they tick real loud. So I will see about the oil.

Ever use Lucas stabalizer?

". You will see close to zero at idle when the engine is hot."

That seems scary? No oil pressure? How does it pump it around?

XSNate,

The XS650 engines uses ball bearings for the mains and rollers bearings for the connecting rods whereas a conventional automobile engine as well as most Honda motorcycle engines use Babbitt bearings. Roller bearings and ball bearings create very little back pressure in the oil delivery system because they are virtually wide open. Babbitt bearings do produce back pressure because they consist of two pieces of metal very close together with the oil being forced to go in between. My Honda CB750, for instance, has a regulated 65 PSI oil system and that pressure is maintained even when the engine is hot. Even at idle, the pressure is around 30 PSI, and that is because the engine uses Babbitt bearings, just like a car engine.

So, even when the pressure gauge indicates near zero in the XS650, there is still oil flow to all the vital parts. Think in terms of pouring oil out of a can. It still flows, but there is zero pressure. That's true also for the XS650 engine with its wide open ball and roller bearings.

The other thing that can cause your valves to make noise is a partially plugged restrictor orifice in the feed tube going to the head. That restrictor orfice is there to ensure that not all of the oil goes to the head, starving the crank bearings.

loosen one of the oil feed banjo bolts on top of the head oil will come out even by kicking it over or the e-start.

Hi Gary,
I'm getting ready to start my motor up after a rebuild.
All buttoned up. Filled her up with 20W50. Had previously read this and wanted to make sure the oil pump was working. Loosened them off and kicked about 6 - 8 times. No Oil.
Cod this be because the motor was completely dry?
Any advice appreciated.
Rgds
Morgan

When I did initial start up on mine, I ran the motor, spark plugs out with the E starter for about 20-30 seconds until I saw oil flowing out of the rocker arms and onto the cam lobes. Kicking I would say you gotta do maybe 20-50 full cycle kicks to get flow up to the head??? Make sure you take out the plugs.

What Steve said above. :thumbsup:
In addition to removing the plugs, I take the valve adjusters out so the rockers are not pushing against the cam. Starter is then completely unloaded and will spin forever.

Back