That's not how a valve should look

Ratranger

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well doing the top end on a trx125 I picked up for the wife. Comes apart pretty well, get the new piston and cylinder on, and turn to the head. Well I have new valve seals so time to pull the valves and install them and clean everything. This came out of the exhaust side.
20200623_205411.jpg

Initially I pulled it and looked at the seat which looks surprisingly good. Glance at the valve and think I need to clean that. Spin it in my fingers and Oh, maybe I don't need to clean it.

Other than smoking the atv ran pretty good. Idled smooth, rode around fine, felt like it had about the power it should being a 125 with autoclutch. It'll be interesting to see how it runs with a good top end.

I think somebody went down too many gears too fast, the top of the piston has a mark, and in general was worn pretty bad. But it is a 33yr old atv, the fact that it ran and was complete is pretty good. With the rebuilt top end it'll go for a long time. And if the wife really likes going to the trails I'll sell it and find something with suspension.

I just figured $200 for the atv, $100 for parts, $75 for the bore job, I'll be able to get my money back from it.
20200624_063454.jpg
20200624_063501.jpg

Back