The 1971 "clone" build

[/URL][/IMG]
electrical is done. Found a good spot for a kill switch. Its just below the front of the tank on the right side. I hate the way the socket I used scratched it.
Started it yesterday. Wont idle on its own. blocked pilots/ idle circuit. No big deal.
When I first started it, it had 1980 throttle cable in the early throttle tube, so when it lit off, it raced backwards almost crashing into my table packed with wire, solder stuff, tools, parts big and small, before I could turn it off. I looked at the carb to cable linkage and it had the throttle almost half open. Guess I should have checked that first. lol. I put a 1971 throttle cable on, and its now the right length.
I'll clean out the grease from the left box, and see if I get the hi beam back. the low works. Headlight is bench tested and good

Its not appropriate to call that a "kill" switch. A real kill switch can be reached with your thumb, while both hands remain on the handlebars to keep control of the bike in an emergency. Calling it a shut-off switch makes more sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0102_zpseh6d26p9.jpg
    IMG_0102_zpseh6d26p9.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1
on the early control box Im using, I don't have a kill switch. on early bikes, there was no kill switch, just the key. I considered wireing the kill to the ign to default on, but I need to have a on/off switch so I can work on the bikes electrical without the ign on. It will usually be on after bike is done.
Its not appropriate to call our enricheners chokes even though it says choke on the knob. But we call it choke anyways. easier to spell.

on the early control box Im using, I don't have a kill switch. on early bikes, there was no kill switch, just the key. I considered wireing the kill to the ign to default on, but I need to have a on/off switch so I can work on the bikes electrical without the ign on. It will usually be on after bike is done.
Its not appropriate to call our enricheners chokes even though it says choke on the knob. But we call it choke anyways. easier to spell.

Angus..................you just don't want to give up on the "choke"/"enricher" thing do you. I guess we just have to agree to disagree. If its good enough for the manufacturer Yamaha to call it a choke, its good enough for me.

... I need to have a on/off switch so I can work on the bikes electrical without the ign on...

An ol' trick I use on my points-fired '71, is to nudge the kickstart 'till a cylinder comes up to TDC (by feeling the compression). At that position both points are 'open', essentially no current goin' thru coils...

nice trick. even though its a tci bike, I don't need the current draw when working in other circuits. It could also double as a "secret" switch if I took the badge off, and painted it black.

...It could also double as a "secret" switch if I took the badge off, and painted it black.

Or, you could reverse its connections, so that 'on' means that kill is 'on', ...etc.

Better yet, relabel it 'hot' and 'cold', or 'kill' and 'maim', or 'paid' and 'due', or.........

If you are hunting parts you wouldn't refer to it as either a enrichener(by the by no such word exists check your dictionary) or choke. You better refer to them as "starter" parts.
It is hard enough dealing with someone who only knows what they see on the screen without getting off track by lessons on nomenclature. They really don't give a rats ass.
But if you insist on pickin nits. . . . no, not available is a quick answer for them.

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 162
Back