The Best Pipes I've Tried

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
When I bought my '83 Heritage Special it came with a brand new 2-1 header as installed by the previous owner. It was loud, sounded more like a 4 cylinder than a twin, short on power, hated to be cold and made an awful droning noise at 50-60 MPH that drove me insane.

Being I have several other XS650s sitting around the shop with several different types of pipes and mufflers I decided to give them a try. Frankly, they all sucked.

It just so happened that someone had given me a set of older stock pipes from an unknown year (early 70s maybe?) so I sent them to the sandblasting shop, had the rusted old chrome removed and painted then with black VHT.

Yesterday I put them on. They are the ugliest pipes I've ever owned and while they fit the engine just fine I had to cheat a little to mount them to the frame. They also had some pits that sandblasting and paint couldn't hide.

Early this morning, with the temperature at 19 degrees, I went out to crank my bike. Low and behold it cranked better than it's cranked since I've owned it, idled better than it's ever idled, ran smoother, had less vibration and made more power than it's ever made before-- right up to 7000 RPM. Even though it's much quieter I can now hear the thump of a twin and not the buzz of a 4. And it no longer has that annoying drone.

And when the temps got up to the high 40s it ran even better.

Now if I only knew where my right highway peg fell off...

UPDATE: Photo added.

Ugly%2BPipes%2B003.jpg

Last edited:
They do look like baseball bats except that the ends are flat and not rounded like the baseball bat pipes I've seen on others. They have a single hole dead center.

Others I've seen had an offset hole or a big hole ringed by 10-12 smaller holes.

Pipes do make a difference.
Mine had the 2-1 when I got it, she ran ok. I picked up a set of stock '83's and she ran so much better. I've tried aftermarket Emgos on stock '83 headers and the performance was good but the sound was a bit much. Now I have what appear to be stock early standard pipes but I believe they're single wall so maybe after market, bought used. Best dam pipes I've had on her yet- sound AND performance wise. I hope they last a long time.

sounds as though you might have scored yourself a set of pipes off a tx or maybe earlier.
When I usede to go riding with my mates in the early 70s they would hate being behind me cause the baffles were breaking apart and shooting into the night sky,Spectacular really.The sound they produced in the end(being strait thru by then) was awesome.The worst thing I did was get a 2 into 1,sounded like a VW putting along.
The best pipes I have found to suit these motors are the tapered turbos which are already strait thru.
Loud Pipes Save Lives
LTR
RTL

Good Salvage job of an old set of XS650 pipes. Got pictures? Maybe someone can identify the year. The best aftermarket pipes I have found are BUB's 2 into 2, and Mikes XS1 replicas. We all have a MikesXS story, but I do like the XS1 replicas.
whynot2

Good Salvage job of an old set of XS650 pipes. Got pictures? Maybe someone can identify the year. The best aftermarket pipes I have found are BUB's 2 into 2, and Mikes XS1 replicas. We all have a MikesXS story, but I do like the XS1 replicas.
whynot2

I'll try to get in before dark so I can get some photos...

Back