The David Bird weld-on

Mattx2

Build it, don't buy it!!
Reaction score
Theres no doubt i want one, i really want to see one on a bike though.
I looked and looked for pictures, on and off the site, but i can only find pictures of it just of the section or just a bare frame.

Anyone have any as a roller or a complete?

4 inch stretch, 3 inch drop. not mine. I think these would look rad with a 0 stretch and 1-2 inch drop.
xs650looptail045.jpg

Man, Those are so sick! I want a 2in stretch with a 1in drop. I love the gussets, it seems to be a lot stronger than other weld-on's.

To bad it has a dna springer on it. Could have been a cool bike.

Last edited:
Do you guys mess with the front forks at all when you drop the rear end? I see Hugh has spacers for lowering the front forks.

Do you guys mess with the front forks at all when you drop the rear end? I see Hugh has spacers for lowering the front forks.

I would think to keep the bike looking correct you would have to either drop the forks or rake the neck. Personally I would rather rake the neck to about 34* and keep stock length forks if I was going to go the hardtail route

Unfortunately waiting on Mikes XS to get some parts in stock to even get back to roller status but I'll have pics of a 4 in stretch 3 in drop straight style shortly.

And generallee as already mentioned if you drop the rear depending on the amount of drop and your wheel/tire setup you might have to either rake or lower the forks.

Personally I am lowering mine...

I used the David Bird straight style hardtail (if you need one hit me up)....and they don't have to be necessarily level (mine will not be completely level. And other than looks I'm not sure if they have to be level...but I could imagine it could effect the handling characteristics, since we do change them when we change the ride height.

Sullen that stretch and drop should look sick. When do you think you will have pics? I'm thinking of a elswick drop seat 5" stretch and 3" drop.

My buddy Steve did my tank. He's actually helping me with all the fab work on the bike. I told him I was starting this project and he asked to do the tank. Check out the link to my build thread to see more tank pics. The cap was made by another friend at a machine shop. He was bored at work on day and hooked it up!!

Back