The dirtiest LH engine side chain area contest.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my contender; note that the sprocket has lot of miles in it yet.

DSCN3129[1].JPG DSCN3130[1].JPG

DSCN3131[1].JPG

Maintenance? Yeah I do maintenance the ex gets $600 a month.....

Winner gets a set of Gary's valve cover o-rings!
It's gotta be "original" old grease, we can tell if you start throwing new glop in there!

Note that alternator and the pick ups. This bike e-started and ran!
Tomorrow it gets the 13 HP pressure washer aimed at it.

I will recuse myself from this contest, I'm a bit of a special case. (OK cut the wisecracks now)
Deadchef is in the lead!

Odometer read 12k on that bike I'll guess it's the original sprocket.

Is that chain really gnawed through or are my eyes telling me lies (again)?
Ju du it? Or did it come with a custom chain quick release?

Attachments

• XS650 engine LH side cleaned.jpg
    XS650 engine LH side cleaned.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 180
I think that's just something black in front of the chain, tape maybe?

Put on carbs and she fired up, dang thing sounds healthy and no smoke so far. Still sorting out some temp fueling to feed the carbs, now I gotta go get a can of gas. Wonder if it is charging???

Well boys it was "Primitive Pete" day today.
I threw on a set of carbs I got from :thumbsup: racerdave :thumbsup: all I had to do was set the idle.

After this video I got enough brakes working to run it up and down the road a few hundred yards. That was plenty of "luck stretching" for me! Rear tire is losing air fast through all the cracks. It's charging at a nice steady 13.4 volts, I did not touch that alternator, just power washed it! clutch, gears work great. Just a bit of smoke. Almost zero blow by from the crankcase vent. Did a head stud re-torque. Need to do oil and filter changes, set valves and cam chain.
I guess the chopper guys are right, who needs all those heavy, ugly frame members?

Changed front sprockets to one that still has some teeth and a less used up chain. While I had the sprocket off I replaced the push rod seal (5 minute job), then as long as the cover was off again I removed the stator and cleaned the slip rings. Good brushes, rotor is at 5.5 ohms, rotor varnish is still light colored and smooth! Anyone need a running engine? Includes a free "light weight" frame. Got tired of airing up that sieve of a rear tire so swapped on a wheel with a better tire too. Why do I need this lipstick? And where did that pig go?

Back