The easiest question of the day... (rear brake pedal shaft)

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello all, let me start off by saying I am slightly embarrassed to ask this...

Does the community here know from past experience... Does the rear swingarm need to be removed in order to install the brake pedal shaft arm?

Thanks all!

Ok, thanks weekendrider. Its clean then... I am an idiot! Like @MaxPete always says... Apply beverages!

I am having a tough time seeing how to fanagle the pedal shaft into place... Thanks for weighing in!

IIRC the shaft is started with the tang horizontal. Then it is rotated up as it clears the brackets. But it has been a day or three since I've touched one.
IMG_20140422_130131_607.jpg
IMG_20140422_130316_242.jpg
IMG_20140422_130328_414.jpg

Yeah - those shots from WER are the ones I was trying for George but that area of the bike is very tightly packed and so getting a shot of just one part or system is tough.

Cheers,

Pete

Also be sure the lever part of that shaft is Vertical... not leaning back like that in the last photo that way you'll get the most force on the
brake shoes with the least amount of pressure ....
.....just a thought ! ....
Bob..........

Thanks, everyone. I suspect the position of that arm in the brake pedal linkage, because of recent trouble with installing a missing tension spring there. I'll check it -- and the swingarm bushings -- and report my findings when I get a chance.

Also be sure the lever part of that shaft is Vertical... not leaning back like that in the last photo that way you'll get the most force on the
brake shoes with the least amount of pressure ....
.....just a thought ! ....
Bob..........

No............. the brake actuator is in the right position. Against the stop and the return spring still has some tension on it................If it was vertical it would be behind the swing arm and the brake arm wouldn't be able to be attached to it...............Surely it is the same on your 83????

yamahadon, If in doubt, check your manual or ask for a clarification from someone else

All I have is a Clymer, and it doesn't have any info/photos at all on the brake pedal & linkage. Yamaha parts diagram for '73 shows the arm straight up . . .

Yes ! Yes You are correct 650skull I goofed up !
the lever needs to be tilted back against the stop SORRY ALL !
Bob...........

Well gentlemen, you learn something new everyday... Maybe one day this thread will save the next guy some time. It turns out the reason I couldn't fanagle the pedal shaft into place was.... The bike was sitting up in its rear stand with the rear wheel elevated. The swingarm was situated too unsprung to allow enough room for the fitment. Unbolted the top nuts of the rear shocks, lifted up the wheel to simulate some weight on the swingarm, and viola!!! Enough clearance was there to move the tang around and into place. Jeesh :doh:. But once again, thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:
Kool ! glad to see ya licked the problem ! good work !
keep after it ..... you'll get her done soon !
Bob...........

Ahhh hah - as Maxwell Smart would have said, "the old unbolt the upper shock mount trick...".

Missed it by THAT much.

Back