The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... Wait, just the ugly.

Teebs

King of the Ass-Hats
Reaction score
I've said more than once that I'm pretty bored with the same old Sporty peanut tank/TC Bros weld-on hardtail combo... but this is what happens when most people don't go that route:

Found on Cragislist under "Custom Chopper Project"

So, by all means, keep going with that "custom" look, and if I tell you I wish you would try to use your imagination... refer me back to this thread. :D

Sure it's ugly as it sits. But easily rescue-able. Looks like somebody got started with a tracker project then lost interest. Not uncommon. Ditch the ugly side panels and seat and start over.

I bought a '78 a couple years back that looked similar. Same story. I welded the frame loop back on, but the guy had ground off all the seat attachment points, so it isn't going back together as a stocker. Rather, a cafe-look is what I'll be shooting for.

Everything is salvage-able depending on how much time, effort and money you are willing to invest. I wouldn't have a problem taking this up and making it right with minimal amounts of each. That really wasn't the point.

It wasn't a tracker project, but a chopper project gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Everything is salvage-able depending on how much time, effort and money you are willing to invest. I wouldn't have a problem taking this up and making it right with minimal amounts of each. That really wasn't the point.

It wasn't a tracker project, but a chopper project gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I think you should buy it and weld a TC Bros on. :wink2::D

Sumbitch! You're right! That feeling I've been having all this time is envy... :doh:

Thanks for straightening me out, brother. I'm going to get right on it... :thumbsup:

Uh, does anybody have a spare sporty tank??? :D

Can I just use one of the other XS's I have, or do I really have to buy that one? The dude wants 800 for it (I know, with those rare disc brakes and that custom seat it's easily worth it.)

:D I was actually cruising craigslist for a KZ1000 to chop next... :D

teebs not everyone makes messes like that. Just the beginers, and that is how they learn. By all means go the way of tc bro.s . Not me however, I enjoy riding bikes I wont see another of. That mess is prime for a weld on cause all the bs needs to come off anyway. 6 cuts and were in dont even have to remove the hack job, it will all come off in one piece. Better that one then a nice xs-b model.

Link won't work for me...some lucky fellow must've snatched it up.

Oh...uh...um......well it certainly is SOMETHING. Where's the tank?

Last edited:
:laugh: @ jayel. I'm not ugly, I'm aesthetically challenged. Besides, with my ridiculously large... ego, it doesn't matter that I'm a hideous, alcoholic degenerate.

Roy, you will never see me go the way of the prefabbed, weld-on hardtail. I'd rather do it myself, always have, and have had some rather interesting results from past experiments. Normally I would agree with you about the learning thing, but for three things:

1.) The craigslist ad, which I should have included from the start:

Custom Chopper Project - $800 (So. NH)

2.) The age of the individual in question:

NOT the Opie-esque young man on the left.

3. He is selling it, not fixing it. Lesson not learned.

and Roy, this baby IS in your neck of the woods. Just waiting for you to take her away.

jay760, I've seen worse too. Does that make it right???

By the way. I'M JOKING. (Well, I really do wish people wouldn't do shit like this and then talk about how cool it is. CUSTOM SEAT? REALLY???)

I made a seat like that for my first mini-cycle when I was 14 out of a 2x6, taking the rear fender off and putting a board for a seat doesn't make it a street tracker guys.
if you knew what I look like Teebs you wouldn't worry about yours:thumbsup:
we're all beautiful in our own special way:laugh:

wait a minute.....THATS MINE....not really but i do remember seeing that one on CL...from maine so i search nh cl all the time for stuff....looks pretty sad but im sure they had something cool in mind when they started this like we all do and it changed as he went and eneded up with this, its not anyones cup o' tea but it was theres

Yeah, jayel I made a seat just like the one you're talking about for my Sears and Roebuck minibike when I was 7-ish. A piece of 1x8, a chunk of foam I scrounged from who-knows-where, covered with rubber from an old truck tire tube. Worked like a charm; looked like hell.

I wasn't worried. I was being facetious about my looks. On top of everything else, I'm damn good looking. :D

I like that some people feel it's necessary to try to justify where the bike ended up. This isn't kindergarten in a progressive state. We don't all get a gold star. Some people are capable, some people are not. That's life. :wink2:

feel free to buy it then and build something no ones ever seen before......i give the guy credit for trying, he failed...its ugly and way overpriced ....but he tried

I don't give people credit for failing. I give them credit for persevering. Try harder, don't quit.

You're taking this awfully personally, Matt. This is just some friendly bs. I'm going to pass on your suggestion that I buy it. As you pointed out, it's way overpriced. I always work on the "no one's ever seen before" concept. I'll keep doing it that way. :thumbsup:

Back