The infamous sump gasket

And to ward off excessive wear on your sidestand pivot, keep it well greased. Install a grease fitting on the pivot .....

y6VgFrh.jpg

v9nUM5X.jpg

The ‘82 & ‘83 have a single socket head on the left side due to the side stand switch.

Hi marty,
they went back to all hex head on the '84s (on mine, anyway) but Allen head screws seem like a better idea for all of them.
Next time I check the bottom oil strainer's integrity I'll swap out all the hex heads for Allen heads.

Yes, maybe it's a dealer implemented "fix". The parts diagrams lists all normal hex heads and that's what my '83 had. I think another dealer "fix" was adding copper seal washers to the oil filter cover Allens on the right side case. Many seem to find them there and the parts diagram doesn't call for them. I don't use them there and it has never leaked.

Now, that's what I've always heard, but looking them up on the parts diagram I'm not so sure now. From all the other applications they're used in, most not needing or wanting this special type of bolt, they appear to be normal bolts. Maybe the originals were special but the current replacements don't look to be .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/97017-06025-00?ref=d7e2ca7dc82da829b5f9eafec78221e471517fd9
Yes. I noted that. I hope I can fit a drill motor under there. I don’t appear to have enough bolt exposed to turn it out.

Now, I have to decide. Pull the engine or put the bike on its back? I couldn’t coax the bolt with a left hand bit. I finally broke it.
:cussing:

Marty, you could gain a little extra space by tipping the back over if needed. I did that on my bike when I replaced the clutch and starter gear. I took all the painted parts off before hand so nothing would get scratched.
View attachment 161877
Thanks. I’ll try that first. For now, best to walk away. I’m getting aggravated. A clear head may prevail tomorrow afternoon.

Now, that's what I've always heard, but looking them up on the parts diagram I'm not so sure now.
I always assumed the break off bolts on the sump plate was just a joke because people break them off or something. You'd think if they really were break off it would be visible, and if not visible surely they'd be marked somehow for safety

the original number crosses to the current number
97301-06025-00 Bolt, Hexagon; New # 97017-06025-00
But a fair number of times members here have reported those original bolts breaking before the case threads stripped. I have found one or two broken in bikes I was working on.
Anyone want to try it with one of the replacement 97017-06025-00 bolts? :sneaky:
Marty; the usual go to is to slot the remains of the bolt with a dremel cut off tool and use a straight blade screwdriver to remove it. Might work even with a drill bit busted off in it.
I'm not as fancy as mailman, use card board and carpet on the floor, have a 5 gallon bucket upside down or a chair handy for the LH handlebar end.

Last edited:
Couldn't you remove the handlebars and left turn signals? Then lay it on a blanket or old piece of carpet.

- - - Or hang it upside down from the rafters.
Guzzis got no centre stands or any frame under the engine.
My son has to swap his tires by lifting the Guzzi on a service platform, hanging the bike from the rafters and lowering the platform.
Theres ALWAYS a way.

I can’t get it on its back with help only from my wife.

I’ll try this. If I can’t get it, I’ll pull the engine and take the bottom case to a machinist before I destroy it.

Back