Plastic in sump....

dillon0990

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I started working on my build 1977 xs650 several years ago and then got busy with other things. I am full bore on it now and have the rolling chassis pretty much ready for the engine. I have the engine on a stand and ordered everything to replace the cam pushrod seal, bushing and upgrade to long rode in place of the dual rod. While waiting on that to arrive I pulled the side filter which appeared clean and then pulled the sump filter. GOOD NEWS....sump was intact and did not have much shavings. BAD NEWS---found several pieced of black plastic. Likely the cam guide.

My questions-- how much plastic is acceptable? I would say there were 10 pieces some up to an inch, but it was thin strips almost like the edges. The engine is out with both side covers off. I planned to replace clutch disks while in there. Engine has ~20,000 miles and has not ran in 10+ years. Engine turns over nice with spark plugs out. Before parking the thing had enough compression to throw you off the bike if you didnt kick it like you meant it. I have not done a compression test, but I assume the compression is still good based on kicking it a few times before taking covers off.

Should I go ahead and tear into it for the cam guide? It sucks because there is no leaks other than clutch pushrod seal and I think all internals are good to go.

If the answer is yes, my build just got extended. What do I NEED to buy to complete this? Do I need a full gasket kit if I am just doing the cam guide? Do bolts/nuts need replaced?

Do a search on it and there is plenty of videos on youtube. I just did it over the winter and was a blast to do. Yes to all of your last questions....gaskets, seals, all the good stuff. But you should of checked compression before anything. Not too late.

Do a search on it and there is plenty of videos on youtube. I just did it over the winter and was a blast to do. Yes to all of your last questions....gaskets, seals, all the good stuff. But you should of checked compression before anything. Not too late.
Would I need to but RH cover back on and put oil in it again to do the compression test. I have a compression tester, but holding an engine not in the bike and kicking it is a pain.

You said the motor is on a stand? I would definitely change the cam chain guide and whatnot. Parts are cheap and it's a bitch to get those motors in and out. I'd also check the valves for leaks. "I. Am. Carbon" (If I remember right) Maybe "Nightflyer" ? Don't recall but he has excellent videos on how to do all of this. YouTube. Line up that cam chain guide correctly video. Wouldn't hurt to just open that motor up. I would rather slam my fingers in a car door than remove these motors from their chassis! Ha!

Would I need to but RH cover back on and put oil in it again to do the compression test. I have a compression tester, but holding an engine not in the bike and kicking it is a pain.
Gotta
i would say if you have the starter still installed, just bump it off a car battery. I mean just bump.... Ha

Back