The infamous sump gasket

ExtraRegularGuy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I did an oil change and put in brand new filters today. The guy that owned the bike before me was technically the second owner, I'll say first because he inherited the bike from his father. Anyway, he obviously didnt change the sump filter, and decided glue on a new gasket. I did my best to scrape off the old gasket without gouging the ultra super hard cast aluminium sump plate :banghead: ...but I did...so I hit it with some 120 grit to smooth it out. It's pretty leaky now, everyone likes to say not to use permatex but I don't understand why, I'm about to give it a shot. If any one has any advice I'm all ears
Thanks!

Posted via Mobile

look closely at the studs. there may be a bit of alum pulling out. if you have this, get a flat file and file it down around the post.
Permatex can ooze into the inner side of the ingine and break off, clogging oil galleys. If you must, use yamabond. it stays soft, and pliable. a little goes along ways.

ok heres the trip. that rtv glue is perty viscis and when it squishes out it MAY fall off or get washed off inside the motor. oil passage ways MIGHT get pluged. if you use it use it sparingley. i use yamabond cant remember which number i think 4 or 5 its good n thick. back to your sump plate next time you take it off use a smooth file and run it over the whole thing and make it flat again or sand paper on a flat surface.

Well som bitch...maybe I've got it seated in full tilt or something. I'll give it a look see again. Worse case scenario I'll just JB weld it together

Posted via Mobile

This pic shows the sump area. The six boltholes around the periphery could be pulled out a little, and would need flattening or chamfering if necessary.

SumpFilter.jpg

These are sump plates, all are interchangeable. Some members acquire spares, and have them prepared in advance for future oil/filter changes. Plenty available on eBay.

CompareSumpPlates.jpg

Some of us simply apply a thin coat of grease to both sides of the sump gasket. Makes it a little more pliable to fill nicks, and makes it a lot easier to remove later. Some folks have used 2 gaskets on troublesome fittings.

The gasket I removed was more of a rubber type material, which makes more sense to me rather than a paper type gasket. Is there a place that sells something like that? The only reliable places for parts I know of are Mike's and heiden tuning, maintenance miles though. Thanks for help, I appreciate it

Posted via Mobile

This fellow makes them:

Item: YAMAHA XS1 TX650 TX 650 XS650 STRAINER COVER GASKET 256-13414-00 , 256-13414-10

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=311343869112&alt=web

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS1-...ASKET-256-13414-00-256-13414-10-/311343869112

Have you seen the 'similar threads' listed at the bottom of this page?

You can also make your own. I've made gaskets from cork and gasket sheeting, available at auto parts stores. Also made gaskets from rubber sheeting. I've seen gaskets made from cardboard cereal boxes, but I wouldn't go there. That's a south San Antonio thing...

You don't understand why we say not to use gasket sealer after all the trouble you had getting the old gasket sealer coated gasket off ??? You ruined your sump plate in the process and you don't understand why we say no sealer ??? You are well on your way to becoming one of those dreaded P.O.s we love to hate, lol.

Not a chance haha, I wouldn't go as far and say "ruined" because at the end of the day I can actually just take a couple thousandths off and make it flatter than it was in 81. I just really don't see the threat of properly applying a thin bead of sealent.

ExtraRegularGuy, ..Bad ass............ really

As you have been told.........the bolts stretch the aluminum around the holes in the lower case. They in turn stop the gasket from doing its job..........sealing the sump plate............ Using a thin coat of gasket goo only masks the problem.......... if it seals......... meaning you will require a larger dose if it doesn't and that could lead to oil galleries being blocked causing a blown engine that will require a full crank up rebuild.

Removing the lower case and trying to take a couple of thou off..........................

All this because you won't listen to advice on how to fix a small problem that will not require using any sealant, just a small smear of grease on both sides of a gasket. This procedure will mean the sump plate comes off readily, and often the gasket isn't damaged in the process and can be reused, if desired.

Last edited:
Used 120 grit how? the proper method is to remove the filter put a sheet of I'll say 240 wet or dry on a FLAT surface then work the cover with some water on the sheet till you have a flat uniform sealing surface. IF you MUST go ahead with gasket sealer only use it on the cover side of the gasket NEVER The case side, use just a thin coat of grease on the case side. For my money I wouldn't use permatex aviation gasket cement, hypalon is my goto it doesn't set and can be readily separated years later. You did not mention having spent quality time with your head cranked around upside down carefully razorblading gasket chunks off the bottom of the case. Also note the factory sump bolts break off at fairly low torque settings, this is BY DESIGN, overtorque bolts to stop a leak and you can easily strip the threads out of the lower case. That will have you wishing for the good old days of a JUST a leaky sump gasket. Of all the sump plates I've removed 20+? only one leaked on reassembly. I think some one had mutilated the old sump plate, I replaced it with a known flat one, problem solved.

I used the 120 to remove the old, hard bonded gasket material opposed to gouging it with a razor blade.upon reinspection, I found a rather larger piece of gasket stuck to the case still. I scraped it of and thoroughly wiped up both mating surfaces, I just put it back together and tprqued the bolts in sequence to 7 ft-lbs. Added in some oil but only half a quart this time hahaha hopefully she doesn't start leaking

ExtraRegularGuy, ..Bad ass............ really

As you have been told.........the bolts stretch the aluminum around the holes in the lower case. They in turn stop the gasket from doing its job..........sealing the sump plate............ Using a thin coat of gasket goo only masks the problem.......... if it seals......... meaning you will require a larger dose if it doesn't and that could lead to oil galleries being blocked causing a blown engine that will require a full crank up rebuild.

Removing the lower case and trying to take a couple of thou off..........................

All this because you won't listen to advice on how to fix a small problem that will not require using any sealant, just a small smear of grease on both sides of a gasket. This procedure will mean the sump plate comes off readily, and often the gasket isn't damaged in the process and can be reused, if desired.

Sound advice, grease both sides......

I use anti-seize. A thin coat on both sides seals the gasket without gluing it to either surface.
I'm one of those people mentioned earlier, I have several sump plates with filters mounted, all clean and ready. At oil changes I just swap the dirty plate and filter with a clean one.
On the sump filter, they often tear in close proximity to the oil port to the intake side of the oil pump. A lot of use patch the tear with the epoxy of their choice. I use JB Weld. If just a tear I clean the filter very well. Coat the tear and on each side by a 1/2 inch or so to seal and reinforce the screening. If an actual hole I trim the screening back to solid stuff. I then cut a patch out of a can, soda, beer whatever, that covers the hole, glue in place with epoxy. Once dry I seal the edges with another coat of epoxy.
I have a spare side cover filter as well.
After the oil filter change, I can clean the dirty ones at my leasure.
Leo

Well som bitch...maybe I've got it seated in full tilt or something. I'll give it a look see again. Worse case scenario I'll just JB weld it together

Posted via Mobile
:yikes::wtf::banghead:

I hate to say bad things to people, but put the tools away, sell the bike to someone that will do the job properly, then go and sit in front of the TV and stay there, that way you and anyone else near you will stay safe.

Back