The "Jap Crap Kid" to the rescue

Well, I heard a noise today. Sounded like a big truck next door. I went out and my neighbors Harley was being hauled away again. To the shop I thought. I just found out it has been repossessed due to non payment. His son told me he couldn't make the payments. Apparently my neighbor has several toys that he cannot afford. His son said he receives a very small retirement check, but from how his house looks, and 3 cars, boat, bike, and the recent swimming pool installation, you would think he was rolling in the dough. I kinda feel bad, but then again, if you can't afford it then don't buy it.

We dont wave over here in England, we nod or tilt our heads..Its so we dont have to take our hands off the throttle (L/H drive you see..:wink2:)
Unless its a Harley (or BMW) ,then we ignore...:thumbsup:

It's hard not to smile a bit when you see a fancy toy repossessed. What fun is your life if the bill collector is hounding you?
Took my XS to town this morning and got several admiring looks, I know it ain't ME they were looking at.

We dont wave over here in England, we nod or tilt our heads..Its so we dont have to take our hands off the throttle (L/H drive you see..:wink2:)
Unless its a Harley (or BMW) ,then we ignore...:thumbsup:

Come on man, you gotta give some of the old airheads some love........Ha:bike:

It really is amazing. The XS in my avatar (now sold :( ) was picked up for under $1000, and with a bit of wrenching, painting, and some minor parts, it was on the road. I suppose everything is relative (meaning maybe I would own one if I was a millionaire), but I can't see myself having $12,000 more fun on a Harley than an XS. Still, to each his own.
One thing is for sure: I will not be buying one on credit. My motorcycles may get nicer with pay grade, but you'll never see me living in a mobile home (not that there's anything wrong with that) with a Ducati Desmosedici parked under a tarp out front.

It's funny: you had two posers in one, there. Now he's known to be a RUB without the "R" or the "B." He's a "U." Hahaha. I don't feel bad for him. The man is learning a valuable lesson, and even if he isn't, I hope his kids are. Wonder how much the bank wants for the Harley? :bike:

That's exactly one of the reasons I looked at the XS, the fun to dollar spent ratio. It increases the longer you have it, because you realize how much you SAVED and look twice as cool, and 4 times the fun; AT LEAST!

LMAO, I live in a mobile home. Of course it cost less to buy then a new bagger Harley and is 10 feet away from my boat dock. And this where he got in trouble I believe. He had to have all the biggest and the best. I'm a cheap ass bastard for a reason. I don't like debt. Everything he owns, he really doesn't. Some bank or lender does. If I wanted a Harley, I would own one. But I actually don't like how heavy they are and how they ride. I can also point out the sound of a parallel twin from a mile away. I love 'em. My XS is just perfect for me.

I can't justify buying something I don't really like, or go into debt for, to be "cool". I am a firm believer in starter bikes and never buying your dream bike first. I know many people who own Harleys, or another brand, but have never riddin other bikes. My dream bike has always been a pre-unit Triumph. I still don't own one because I love my little XS. I could have bought one, but luckily I got my XS first. I've ridden a ton of bikes and there are some that I will never own. Like a CBR or GSX-R. I don't like rockets. They are awesome bikes in their own way, but I don't enjoy riding them.
I guess my point is that you can get a lot for your money by researching and looking at what you need, like, enjoy, and want. My father-in-law has been riding since '59 and has had about every type of bike. He rides a Yamaha Road Star. He says he's to old to rattle his balls and shake shit out. Plus he saved a ton of money.

OK Guys, I gotta say that I've been riding HD's for over 30 years. Every one (exept for one that I bought new in 92) has been a basket case, paid cash for every bike I've ever owned, & I'm NOT brand loyal, especially to HD. I will say that my shovel flh is the most comfortable ride I've ever had, & it's nice to haul all your crap around and your old lady and just putt around the countryside in comfort. I don't give a rats ass about the "image" as a matter of fact, me & the misses just rode down the the local watering hole on a 72 Vespa! Nobody gives me crap, & I don't really care if they do. I bought the XS so that when my stepson rides it, an old timer like myself will respect it, and he learns that you don't need to have a new expensive bike to have a good time. And when people are passing other bikes to check his ride out, he can be proud that he helped build it, and that it cost a fraction of those other bikes, & still have a ton of fun in the mean time.

The other day a friends posted up the new NADA figures.

3 year depreciation on a HD Rocker....25% based on MSRP

3 year depreciation on a Yamaha raider 21% based on MSRP

As we all know every RUB will tell you that you gotta buy a harley cause they hold their value. The funny thing is most of the guys I know with new metric bikes bought them for a lot less than MSRP. You know the local HD shop isn't letting them go for less than MSRP.

Is this a Harley vs old Jap bike thread? All I can say is if I had a $20,000 bike, I wouldn't give any of y'all the time of day. Which is the main reason I don't have one :) :) :) That plus what I have is just as good for my purposes.

Here's my view of people and their bike brands.

I go to "bike nights" and "bike days" around the Calgary area occasionally. As a matter of fact, I was at one last evening..................A&W, 16 Ave and 4th Street.............they have awesome Teen Burgers:thumbsup: There was probably 40 bikes there, of all makes. I go around and chat with everyone, and one of the friendliest was a couple on their Harley................very pleasant people. Sure, he was wearing the obligatory leather vest, but that's just part of the costume.

Interesting bikes I saw at the meet: ..............500 cc single cylinder Honda street bike with dual carbs and dual exhausts (4 valve head).............450 cc Suzuki twin with automatic transmission.................250 cc single cylinder Ducati..................1300 cc Honda with a side car................Harley sportster with the male driver carrying his son in a back pack (yes the boy had a helmet).

There was a young lady on Vespa scooter, and there was an older lady driving a full size Harley (she had the leather vest and leather chaps, again its the costume to attend the ball).

Everyone mixed and everyone had a good time. Diversity makes the world a better place!

Next time you meet a Harley rider, give him or her a hug:yikes:..................they need support to help them make that monthly payment:D

Here's my view of people and their bike brands.

I go to "bike nights" and "bike days" around the Calgary area occasionally. As a matter of fact, I was at one last evening..................A&W, 16 Ave and 4th Street.............they have awesome Teen Burgers:thumbsup: There was probably 40 bikes there, of all makes. I go around and chat with everyone, and one of the friendliest was a couple on their Harley................very pleasant people. Sure, he was wearing the obligatory leather vest, but that's just part of the costume.

Interesting bikes I saw at the meet: ..............500 cc single cylinder Honda street bike with dual carbs and dual exhausts (4 valve head).............450 cc Suzuki twin with automatic transmission.................250 cc single cylinder Ducati..................1300 cc Honda with a side car................Harley sportster with the male driver carrying his son in a back pack (yes the boy had a helmet).

There was a young lady on Vespa scooter, and there was an older lady driving a full size Harley (she had the leather vest and leather chaps, again its the costume to attend the ball).Everyone mixed and everyone had a good time. Diversity makes the world a better place!

Next time you meet a Harley rider, give him or her a hug:yikes:..................they need support to help them make that monthly payment:D
Hell I don't mind the chaps at all:laugh:

Attachments

• user70930_pic7775_1222054204.jpg
    user70930_pic7775_1222054204.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 179
Diversity in machinery is good, diversity in innovation and customization is great, diversity in personalities is also nice...unless that person has a superiority complex. As with most subcultures, the most visible and vocal (and usually the dumbest) part of a group ends up being the poster child for the group--like it or not. I've known plenty of friendly Harley riders, but I've also seen the bars, shows, bike weeks and debauchery that form the basis of the Harley "image." But I have nothing against Harley's or any decent guy or gal who rides one.

I'm speaking about/against the guys wearing the "If you can read this, the b**** fell off" t-shirts.

P.S. Ever notice in Back to the Future II, when Marty comes back to the "alternate" 1985, what motorcycle is ubiquitous under the sleazy rule of Biff Tannen? That's all I'm saying. The "image" sucks.

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy not too long ago about the movie, "The Wild Ones" with Marlon Brando. He was talking about how cool he was and what that image did for Harley bikers. Too bad Brando was riding a Triumph.

I was talking to a guy not too long ago about the movie, "The Wild Ones" with Marlon Brando. He was talking about how cool he was and what that image did for Harley bikers. Too bad Brando was riding a Triumph.

Yes, a Triumph Thunderbird. The biker image has changed since the 50's, look at Sturgis. I think most here love motorcyles period. I love the XS for it's reliability, cost and racing heritage. (ya gotta love KR). After two divorces and raising two kids, I am just now getting back to the point that I can afford to start spending some hard earned cash on all those "old junk motorcycles" (my ex words) that I have been hoarding over the years. I love Harley's too, my first big bike was a '52 K model that I bobbed into a really sweet ride. I have friends who ride Harley's and everything in between. Most people who work on their own machines appreciate the machinery in one way or another. People with snobby attitudes are not bikers. They are just Wannabe's with cash. Sounds like a great bike nite Retiredgentlemean. :bike:

I couldn't agree more....it's the superiority attitude that gets me. Unfortunately, there's a d-bag in most crowds. BMW owner or H-D owner, or whichever it may be. Is there ANY manufacturer that sells a 100% make specific bike anymore?

I just love all motorcycles and I've said that several times before. I love engines, especially motocycle engines. I love old bikes. My grandfather had a 20 something Harley, then bought a brand new '36 Indian. I guess they're in my blood. I've still got Jeff Ward SuperCross posters, from '87, hanging on my wall. Hell, I buy little 50cc or 75cc engines just to rebuild them. Somehow I have become a BS34 carb addict now. Anyway, I know a bunch of guys with Harleys, BMW, Aprillia, Ducati, ect. All of them are great friends and grew up with little B&S engine mini-bikes, then worked up, while working on, bigger and better bikes. My freinds BMW has 75K on the clock. Another has a '65 with a 1600cc VW engine in it.
But I can't stand people looking at my bike and acting superior to me. Once I was called "Un-American" because I have a Yamaha. This 12 year Marine Corps veteran flipped the fuck out on that piece of shit yuppy!!!!!! My wife even looks at the top of peoples shoes to check for gear shifter marks when they start talking motorcycles. She busted some ass wearing Alpinestar riding shoe/boots who said they ride everyday, 50 miles each way. (They also did the left hand air throttle roll explaining their riding style).
I try to get along with every motorcyclist I talk to. We need to. We're outnumbered by cars and people who are hell bent for leather to pound bikes into the ground legislative wise. I go to many get-togethers with many different bike types/manufacturer and we all get along. Unfortunately there are a couple I have been to that are extremely onesided. And honestly they were Harley gatherings. And not like some 1%er groups, but "I got a Harley, so I'm better" people. It's distressing to see this and it just causes more tension between us all.
Why are they making it so easy to bitch about them? If they want to be different, then why did they buy the most produced, catalog clad bikes in History. Or why did they buy a BMW that is meant to go a long, long way yet only drive 100 miles on a weekend with a freaking bluetooth shoved in their ear? Or parked at a bar or stop for 4 hours. What fun is that?
I'll stick with my little buddy and cruise around all day with an ear to ear grin and a free feeling that I'm out there for me and not to impress people. It's so less stressful to not have to worry about what color bandana I'm going to wear today. "HHmmm, leather jacket and chaps...just the jacket....Honey? Do these chaps make my ass look big?"

Back