The "Jap Crap Kid" to the rescue

I used to work in the R & D dept for an aftermarket supplier of chrome trinkets for the motorcycle market.....their name starts with "K".
Anyway, each of their product designers (while I worked there, anyway...) has owned, or owns at least 1 XS650 and is responsible for turning me onto them. All day long, they loyally design chrome shit for H-D's and, if they are a good seller, retrofit it for the "Metric" bikes.

Guess how many of them own a H-D?

(This is by choice, remember...)

God, I miss that job!

I spent a lot of time as an OHV trail advocate in SC, working toward adding OHV trail on public land. Some friends and I went to a meeting once, suits and all, to meet with a couple of DNR people. They had puzzled looks on their faces, finally one of them said to me 'Y'all are not what we expected.' I asked what were they expecting and he said 'You know, bikers'. No, we did not get the trail mileage we were hoping for and that image was an immense part of the problem.

So that whole Harley badass image creates problems for anyone on a motorcycle and that's what torques me about those clowns. At a party or etc if someone asks I will tell them I am a motorcyclist but NOT a biker.

Add to that the fact that Harley's 45 degree twin has to be the worst basic engine architecture out there and no I am not a Harley fan in any way. Gimme my riceburners any day.

Great reading! I have the unique situation where my father is American and my mother is Japanese. (He met her in the 50s when he was stationed in Japan) I was born in MI 44 years ago and am a red blooded American (conservative). I have an XS1100 and XS650 because they are nostalgic and I can afford them. A coworker (Former /current alcoholic biker guy) who builds high dollar custom bikes and owns several Harleys is really getting out of hand. I dont mind the "Yamasaki" comments but the jokes thrown around about my mom- "Chinese/Japanese all the same..your people...vietnamese...your people" comments have reached the max level I can take. He is a nice guy but ignorant. The next time he starts in Im gonna remind him I was born and raised in the US like him- and he better shut his mouth. When I hear about Harley guys with elitist attitude I think of this guy.

Mharrington That situation sucks, the boy needs an attitude adjustment. Hard to call from here but you need to to splain to him that kind of talk is plain wrong and won't be tolerated. If a one on one doesn't work enlist a few friends to help make it clear.

Or complain to the boss about ethnic harassment. If he then fires you, the court will likely hand his company over to you ... Start keeping notes of what was said.

xjwmx true, but on moral principals I was leaving that option unsaid. On the other hand if you notify management and they don't address it..............

Once I set him straight he will be OK- He doesnt know hes offending me- I can handle myself- he is the biker but even though my personality is quiet I am actually the guy that LOOKS like a biker- all 248lbs. Currently I am waiting for the next opportunity to explain to him on terms his kind will understand. It will be fun to see the look on his face when I tell him to knock it off. By the way I think Harleys are a cool bike- But none are in my price range and every time my bikes have been bashed it been from a Harley owner- male and female. Yes I bash Harleys on a forum but am just venting about there outgoing ignorance. I dont seek them out to insult there bikes- its the other way around.
000_0927.jpg

At the same time, don't have a chip on your shoulder either, and keep a sense of humor. Maybe be less easily offended if you're easily offended. People sometimes make remarks about my being a hillbilly, but I'm actually proud of being on these shores since 1710 and only learning to read and write a couple of generations ago :) Me and Jim Bridger.

Now, if someone kids you, sometimes it actually means they feel comfortable around you and like you. Just their way of paling around. You can tell when it's an insult or not.

I know what's up with that . I was driving my XS2 today and I often notice that Harley Riders won't even wave much .One day I ended up following a big hog with his woman on the back . They kept looking back at me on my 72 ( my rider ) . It was a nice road and it seemed like they turned off because they didn't want to be seen riding with me on a Yamaha ....I'm just sayin . There nice I feel , but there so big and heavy . Oh well . Nothing like a 650 on some back roads . I'd get a road king if I was going to Alaska . Also you ever notice a lot of large people ride Harleys. Maybe they should take a walk instead of meeting at Diners .

Yeah, I've noticed the 'no wave' thing too. It's as if 'Jap crap is beneath their notice. Oh, well; I guess I'll just continue to ride and enjoy my 'Jap crap' despite their disapproval. ;)

Somebody should design a H-D knock off style black t-shirt with Jap Crap in the badge part, and Yamaha across the bar part of the H-D logo.....I'd buy a few!

I read a Yamaha advertisement from 1980 about the XS650 Special 2. Said the 650 Yamaha ran the 1/4 mile in 13.90 seconds and the 1980 1200 Sportster clocked it in 14.20 seconds. What a slug for a 1200. I often hear people dont buy Harleys to go fast but I have to say that the outlaw biker image/fantasy has them installing loud pipes and revving the crap out of the engines as if to say my bike is bad AND fast. The 70s metric stuff- even in 2012 standards deliver very exciting acceleration. To the OP- its awesome you helped out your ignoramous of a neighbor!

I have noticed, from what I see, that apparently H-D 's only work on warm, sunny weekends and have a tendency to herd up at local restaurants for hours. Very few do I see on rainy, cold days. Especially weekdays. We have couple bars here that are run by real bikers and are steered clear of by the "checkbook bikers". Ive seen them go the long way so they don't have to get caught at the light right next to this one bar. It is not a friendly place. Funny though, they leave other riders alone. Even knodding sometimes. But man do they hate weekend warriors. Probably because they see the "regulars" commuting everyday to work.
I will ad that all you have to do is point to the tag in those "Genuine Harley" clothes and see where they were made. Vietnam baby.

Welp, I went to the local motorcycle swap-meet this Sunday and I saw ALL of this thread in ONE PLACE. To start with, It wasn't only a swap meet but a "ride in" bike show. I should have fucking known better. I'm looking for a few things so I went down to take a look... Upon arrival, HARLEY HARLEY HARLEY... Ok, makes since, that's the kind of area I live in. But when I went into the event........ FUCK ME; 71 degrees outside and there is 100's of people in chaps on the inside. (most of which were buying sunglasses and skull rings and clogging up the hot-dog lines) I was so takin back by the whole attitude and looks that were being thrown around in this enormous building I could barley keep conscience. Good Lord, It's been said already, I love Harley's but, hate most owners.. Lump them into a group and they all act like they joined a club. Moving on... The "ride in" bike show...FUCK ME AGAIN! 2 Chopped bikes (one of which was meat and potatoes!, the other, ehh take it or leave it) The other 100-150 bikes: All stock HD in some sort or the other. BORING! Place looked like a dealership. My old man rides a HD, has turned wrenches all his life but after about an hour, we agreed, lets go. If I ever own a HD I will molest the shit out of it and tell anyone who asks that it's a Yamaha. Only because people stop me now and say "Oh, that's not a Harley, what is that?" :)

I want that "JAP CRAP" tee shirt! Where do I get it? Can I put it in thr drawer with my

Harley shirts...? I dont just have the shirt..I have the bike too..! Ha ha.

Back