The Official Michigan Thread

Hi Guys from Kalamazoo.

82 Honda 900F-SS daily driver
78 XS-650 SE street tracker I just bought in July
81 Honda GL standard under construction

I have had 3 - 650's 70 XS-1 72 XS-2 79 SE I've been looking for a good one for a while when this 78 came along.
I just put both my drivers in winter storage today.

RIDE-SAFE

JIM

How do you attach pics. ?

How do you attach pics. ?

Welcome!

A lot of guys use a photobucket account, and then all you have to do is copy the image code and paste it in your post and wala a picture appears like this

IMG_0635.jpg

Last edited:
I was born in Sturgis, MI and live in South Bend, INnow... still have ALOT of family in the SWMI area... got my 650 from an Uncle that still lives in Sturgis... have fam all the way up to the UP and heavily concentrated from Grand Rapids to Three Rivers to Sturgis ... plan on a few runs in SWMI in 2011.... CHOPPERFEST and the STURGIS TOY RUN top my to do list

Hi all , I'm new from Washington MI originaly from East Detroit . I work for GM as a metal model maker. Previously owned a 450 Honda and a '72 Sporster. I used to do work for a local Harley builder and neighbor Chet Hall. After Chet passed away I got out of doing bike stuff and went to performance cars ,now I want to do a xs650 if I can ever find one.

Mtrcty- what are you looking for? running? older model? newer? I just got a call yesterday from a friend who says hes got 2 that he may be getting rid of. Ill have to see what he wants for them.

Don't ya just love MI. weather, it's never boring. Yesterday Mon.11-22 it was 70 in Kalamazoo and today it's pushing it to hit 39.

Stay-warm

RIDE-SAFE

JIM

MTRCTY,

Check Craig's list under Kalalamazoo , type in Yamaha 650. There are several bikes for sale, one of the better ones is a 83 Heritage ( special with spoked wheels ) is listed in Dorr MI . bike is all stock and looks good . Asking $1700.00 but the bike has been for sale for a while, plus with this time of year you might be able to get a good deal.
Let me know what exactly your looking for, I'am always on the look out for XS 650's.

LATER

JIM

JHBMX5 thanks but that's more than i want to spend since i will be stripping it down chopping up the frame and swing arm, was looking more in the $500-$800 range with a title.

even with out a title could work, getting a title in Michigan is just a hop and a skip to the SOS office followed by 7-10 business days of waiting

even with out a title could work, getting a title in Michigan is just a hop and a skip to the SOS office followed by 7-10 business days of waiting

good to know..... I have a couple bikes in the garage that were aquired without papers... all legal as far as I can tell.... just awaiting motivation to get to work on them, and want to be sure I can get papers before I put any money or too much time into them

I dont about other areas but around Metro Detroit its kind of a hassle.
Maybe its because of high rate of thefts, title jumping and that type of stuff but according to a friend that works at SOS they're actually advised by mgmt to not issue lost titles and not mention the "vehicle transfer form" which is what you would you use to obtain a title.
And lately the main SOS in Lansing has implemented a new policy of "manual review" of titles which could have you waiting for a title for months, my last one took 3 months to receive and the only reason i got it is because i called SOS in Lansing asking them where the hell it was. So they pulled it from their "manual verification" process and processed it. Who knows how long it would have been if i didnt call them.
It seems like things are changing in MI when it comes to titles.

hmm you should try the east lansing SOS but I will warn you and suggest you go EARLY...otherwise I hope you have a blackberry or something with a mindless time wasting game on it or the latest issue of the horse.

on another note...I wanted to take a second to express my frustration with not only the cold weather this past weekend but a fellow members automobile. We spent more time in the garage this weekend than we did inside and after at least 1 can of penetrating oil, a (now) broken strap wrench (4 hours after we bought it), a broken torque wrench, impact wrench time and time again and minimal to no hours of sleep we were unable to remove the crank pulley on his car.
SO! help us out, who has an idea or tactic that has worked in the past? Plan for tomorrow is to rent one of those special tools from autozone that holds the pulley?? I have never had to use one before but hopefully it works. Anyone else?

Back