The old missing cam chain adjuster washer....

highboy_coupe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a reason why many owners report that the cam chain adjuster washer is missing?
I mean, why would a PO take the rod out completely, why would they remove the washer, and why wouldn't they care to replace it?
Mine was gone, I found a rubber washer that fit, but I am aware that I probably can't use the rod/housing being level as my setting anymore because the thickness of the washer is not right, so I just eye up when the rod is moving in and out least with the motor running.

I still have a noisy clacking engine, my intake valves are slightly loose at 0.0031 (only have a 6mm or 8mm feeler gauge)

The thickness of the washer needed will depend on the version and year of the tensioner assembly you have. A 2mm thick copper washer was used up until about 1980. Around 1981, a 3mm thick rubber/metal washer was introduced. This was a small change or revision to the last tensioner assembly used, the type E. Early type E assemblies still used the 2mm thick copper washer. The later revised version used the 3mm thick rubber/metal washer. The way to tell which one is required is to measure the length of the adjuster screw. When they added the 1mm thicker washer, they reduced the length of the adjuster screw by 1mm to compensate .....

Nip8W9y.jpg

Suitable replacement 2mm thick copper washers can be had off of eBay ......

R5rt3Cz.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-6mmx...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That is very helpful, thank you. I measured up and I have a 60mm screw. My rubber washer was not up to the job and had disintegrated, good job I changed the oil....

Back