The Stovetop Scrambler: 1974 tx650 Scrambler Rebuild

I like your build alot. Good job! I do have a few questions. I also looked into the rear shocks and saw they have a 11in. I imagine yours are the 13.5in? What's your seat height with them? I've been debating buying a 4.5in headlight, but can't find any pics of one installed for a proportion reference. Yours looks small enough, what size is it? lastly, any chance we can get a pic of the inside of the electronics tray? Curious how much room you have in there.

Thanks mate,

The shocks are 12.5''. I'm actually going to pick up some longer ones as when my girlfriend (all 100lbs of her) is on the back, I rub tire a little bit when we hit larger bumps. I imagine it also has to do with the fact they are quite soft shocks.
I believe my headlight is right around 4.5"s.

I'll try and shoot off some pictures for y'all of the electronics

Heres an updated shot, as well as a shot of my not only beautiful, but classy girlfriend..

n94q.jpg

zesx.jpg

A few days ago I switched over to BS34s from my BS38s, and damn does it ever run smoother. I had some sort of air leak that I could not locate, and even put on new carb boots and gaskets and it still wasn't playing nice. So fuck em!

Was reading further back on your build and noticed you said you were going to powder the covers on the engine---why did you decide against it? It looks good as is but wondering if there was some reason?

yeah, I really liked those badges. You did a great job on your bike. You still liking the rear shocks? What size headlight do you have on there and did you mount it to the triple tree?

yeah, I really liked those badges. You did a great job on your bike. You still liking the rear shocks? What size headlight do you have on there and did you mount it to the triple tree?

Do you have any idea what it weighs now? Looks like a LOT of weight reduction. Haven't been all over the thread, but I dig it.

Heres an updated shot, as well as a shot of my not only beautiful, but classy girlfriend..

n94q.jpg

zesx.jpg

A few days ago I switched over to BS34s from my BS38s, and damn does it ever run smoother. I had some sort of air leak that I could not locate, and even put on new carb boots and gaskets and it still wasn't playing nice. So fuck em!

Tron,
Best of both a fit bird, and a brilliant bike you lucky lucky bastard :laugh:

Leslie

Tron, I joined the forum today. This winter, I plan to do a tracker build. I read this whole thread, and gotta say, great job. Your bike looks great man. Maybe I missed it if it's here, but how did you do your polishing? I'd like to know since I got lots ta do.

Thanks man...:)

Thanks wedlock!

Polishing is a bit of a process but quite enjoyable and totally worth it.

I give the aluminum a good clean and then beginning with 400ish grit sandpaper, and work my way up to 1500ish. Sand back and forth and not in circles.

After that, I use a metal polish on a bench grinder with a polishing wheel on it. That'll bring it right I mirror finish!

Good luck

Posted via Mobile

While I'm at it, here's a photo of me on the bike in a storm during a annual moto meet we have at the shop I work at..

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 314
Whats the ride report on those shocks?

Do they perform well, or do they feel like cheapo shocks?

PS: sweet bike

Back