The unemotional Mikes thread

I've created a google spreadsheet that will store the information. To add information to the spreadsheet, you will need to fill out a form. It does NOT require you to have a google account, but the form does require specific information.

To fill out the form :
Low quality parts form

To view the spreadsheet :
Low quality parts spreadsheet

If you want to suggest changes or would like to help maintain this, let me know and I can give you editing permission.
Also, if you would like to save the spreadsheet to your PC, there is an option under File...

Who is going to control the information. Lets say a part is defective and it gets put up here that it is and the vendor corrects the part problem in the future. Will the person responsible fix the post when/if the part no longer has that problem.

Also if you do carry this through then the "Low quality parts for XS650" should also have a box asking if correspondence was entered into, and any out come of such correspondence.

At times in these situations the truth gets bent in the favor of the poster who feels wronged.

Sweet Earz! Not your ears, the spreadsheet.

Is there a way to add a Part Category like Carburetor, Brake, Mirrors, etc with a drop down list that you choose from? Also, same for the Vendor. That would make it easy to sort and search for bogies in your area of interest.

Also, some folks may be reluctant to submit if they have to id themselves.

Instead of just a part number, can we paste a link to the part description? I'll go try that after I post this.

Nice work, man!

Good points skull. IN fairness, the vendor should be notified and allowed to remedy or comment himself. Maybe a report could be emailed regularly to vendors showing what they have on the poo list, so they can take action or argue it.

BTW, Earz, I did post a hyperlink in the item number field and it jumps just fine, however, in the case of Mikes web site it only take you to that page of his catalog, not the part. So maybe we need a Link field as well as the Item Number field.

If this is the solution we all agree to use, that is.

Should we consider ourself lucky that we still can get parts for our bikes?.

Sometimes the replacement parts are so terrible that it would've been better to have nothing at all, and not have the added bonus of wasting your money on something that didn't work.

650Skull said:
Who is going to control the information. Lets say a part is defective and it gets put up here that it is and the vendor corrects the part problem in the future. Will the person responsible fix the post when/if the part no longer has that problem.

I can add anyone to the list to have the ability to edit the spreadsheet. I can help with it, but I'm not sure if I will have the time to be the main contact. Life has been pretty hectic lately and is about to get a whole lot busier for me.

650Skull said:
Also if you do carry this through then the "Low quality parts for XS650" should also have a box asking if correspondence was entered into, and any out come of such correspondence.

I can add a checkbox for that can be "Have you contacted the vendor about the problem" as well as a checkbox for "Has the problem been resolved". I just threw this thing together in a matter of minutes. I have never really used Google docs before so we can say this little thing is still in the BETA testing. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kent_in_kc said:
Is there a way to add a Part Category like Carburetor, Brake, Mirrors, etc with a drop down list that you choose from? Also, same for the Vendor. That would make it easy to sort and search for bogies in your area of interest.

I can add whatever. The drop down list for category is a good idea. The reason I chose to not do a dropdown list for the vendor was in case we wanted to do tools (from HF or Craftsman, etc) or even ebay vendors that have the same items for sale regularly.

kent_in_kc said:
Also, some folks may be reluctant to submit if they have to id themselves.

Instead of just a part number, can we paste a link to the part description? I'll go try that after I post this.

The username field is completely optional.

I can change the "Vendor Website" field to "Vendor Website/link to item"

kent_in_kc said:
IN fairness, the vendor should be notified and allowed to remedy or comment himself. Maybe a report could be emailed regularly to vendors showing what they have on the poo list, so they can take action or argue it.

As said earlier - I can add a checkbox to see if the original poster has contacted the vendor, and if the problem has been resolved. Yes, we could also send the link to the vendor so they could view consumer reviews on the parts they sell.

The bad part is, I have tried contacting MikesXS via email in the past. I sent several different emails requesting information on a particular part (can't remember specifics now) and never received a reply. I'm unsure if anyone else has had any luck contacting them. 650 Central on the other hand - i've spoken to him several times. Very good communication.

With all this being said - I have not found a way, if one even exists, for a particular user to go back in and edit/add correspondence checkmarks without unlocking the entire spreadsheet for anyone to edit it. I'd rather have the editing permissions set to a select few individuals to keep anyone from accidentally and unintentionally erasing/changing something on the spreadsheet. I want to set a disclaimer - something along the line of "the following information is personal opinions expressed by individuals who have had a bad experience with a product or vendor." and including contact information to those few that have editing permission in case someone needs to add to/change their "review" of a product.

Also, any other changes can be made. We can make this a parts review form with a positive/negative experience column, change the complaint field to complaint/praise. Can even set up a rating system 1-5 or 1-10, etc. Hit me with your suggestions and again, if you would like to help edit and maintain this spreadsheet - send me a PM.

We could also just scrap the idea and use the wiki link that weekendrider posted
weekendrider said:

Sounds good, Earz. Work up a Rev 2 for us tonight please.

BTW, I mentioned the email and general communication "issues" to Mike as well as reiterating my suggestion that he negotiate a way to return funky parts to his suppliers, or whatever. I began the letter with a compliment for his quick shipping and for recognizing a great niche market. He replied, thanking me for the suggestion. As with most things in life flies always reply better to honey than piss and vinegar.

I believe Mike, and all our vendors, will recognize the value and importance of working with us as a more or less organized buying group. The Poo list will compel positive action.

Believe in the Poo.

I have revised a little already. Unfortunately, I work nights so it will be morning before I can revise anymore. I added the vendor contact and problem resolved checkboxes to the form. I also changed the vendor website field a bit. The last thing I did was add a link to the results page after you have filled out the form.

Someone that is good at throwing words together in complete sentences want to make suggestions for the disclaimer?

One last thing. I found out that the spreadsheet is not accessible on mobile devices (ie iPhone). I was able to login, and view it in list view, but that may be because I have permission to edit.

Posted via Mobile

False info here already.

[Quote Wiki] Dual lobe cam - FAIL - lobes improperly machined making the points opening too early or too late.

Dual lobe ignition cam - PASS - timing was with in the factory tollerance between cylinders. [Unquote]
Q: how can the dual lobe points cam be wrong and right at the same time.

My dual lobe points cam slipped on perfect over the pin.

The carb kits have the wrong size jets for the year and model yet the wiki post is a pass

[Quote Wiki] Oil Pump Outer Rotor - FAIL. Too thick. Over 8mm. Pump is locked tight with part installed.[unquote]
every one wants to work on their own bikes and learn skills to solve problems. Yet when faced with a problem all they want to do is squeal. If i bought an oil pump and the outer was to wide i would fix it so it would fit. A simple solution

Any one who has rely worked and ordered their own parts for cars bikes etc will know that half the time the wrong part will arrive, (how many times have you gone to pick up your car from the Garage and been told the wrong part was sent). I always take the part with me to a parts store and even then i have been given the wrong one and told it is right and my part is wrong.

This is a witch hunt and it will get out of hand.
When a poster refuse's to buy off mikes in the US and will only deal with the Canadian store and states, i don't mind paying the extra postage because i like the idea of mikes not making the profit, :doh: I question the intelligence of someone like this who is going to post a negative on parts yet can't tell the difference between Mikes of the US and Canada and they are prepared to lose money as well. Those type of people are going to sway others to not buy.

650skull - I totally agree that there are unintellegent, unskilled consumers out there. There are also a lot of skilled, highly intellegent consumers out there. I think kent_in_kc thought of this whole idea to do several things:

1) give consumers a place to review a product that the purchased

2) help inform future consumers of potential problems of said product

3) give the vendors some feedback on the products they sell. If Mike never checks this forum and there are 1000 pages complaining about the poor quality of said product, how will he ever know. I'm sure Mike as well as any other vendor would appreciate feedback - whether it be positive or negative. The only way to improve anything is to correct problems as they arise.

This is no different than the "Review this product" link that you see on so many webpages. None of those are moderated so people occasionally say some off the wall total bullshit. That's another reason I put the optional username field. If someone complains about a product and it sounds false - if they provided their username, you could send them a PM and get more details/history of the problem. If it was a situation that they were installing it improperly - that could lead to educating a fellow rider as well by suggesting a correct method of installation.

Posted via Mobile

650skull - I totally agree that there are unintellegent, unskilled consumers out there. There are also a lot of skilled, highly intellegent consumers out there. I think kent_in_kc thought of this whole idea to do several things:

1) give consumers a place to review a product that the purchased

2) help inform future consumers of potential problems of said product

3) give the vendors some feedback on the products they sell. If Mike never checks this forum and there are 1000 pages complaining about the poor quality of said product, how will he ever know. I'm sure Mike as well as any other vendor would appreciate feedback - whether it be positive or negative. The only way to improve anything is to correct problems as they arise.

This is no different than the "Review this product" link that you see on so many webpages. None of those are moderated so people occasionally say some off the wall total bullshit. That's another reason I put the optional username field. If someone complains about a product and it sounds false - if they provided their username, you could send them a PM and get more details/history of the problem. If it was a situation that they were installing it improperly - that could lead to educating a fellow rider as well by suggesting a correct method of installation.

Posted via Mobile

[Quote; Kent] We, the people, desire to buy quality parts for our motorsikkles without a lotta hassle. Since our bikes are a little fringe, we find ourselves limited in the sources for said parts.

Be it resolved, therefore, ahem, that we although we find ourselves buying parts of an inconsistent quality, we shall not get all bent all the time. Yea verily, we shall commit ourselves to calmly creating a Poo List of crapular parts including their source and part numbers so that future generations of us'ns will no longer wander into the valley of crap.

Be it further resolved that we will apprise our wayside brethren, The Peddlers, of our Poo List and advise them that it shall affect their desires for our silver, indeed it shall DIMINISH their fortunes to let their offspring parts stray from the ways of the holy and onto the Poo!

We go now and call upon our leader, The Traveler, to establish the Poo so we may all ride in the light.

Whatever. [Unquote]

This is a poo list not a product review
. If it was a product review then all parts would be reviewed

Well it started as a poo list, but I believe there was some talk of turning it into a product review. :shrug:

Some links to some posts that Mike made over at the 650rider site

http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6046&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8838&highlight=Mike+Londale
http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7734#62671

Regarding Phone service

We have 15,000 + active USA customers and there is no way we can still offer phone service at the prices we charge. Basically we supply the groceries but no longer offer cooking lessons. When I started this business (?) the buyers generally had some mechanical aptitude but this degenerated to the level where I was receiving complaints about not supplying install instructions with a set of grips. Some people should not own a used bike of any kind and have been watching too much orange county chopper !
I have doubt's some know where to put the gas in.

We are planning to shoot a number of U-Tube Video's on installing various parts but there are some who still won't be able to handle the job and simply need to find a competent mechanic.
Mike @ Mikes XS

Allbeit not the 100% customer service mentality. He has a point... and I'm willing to accept that for the products he offers. AAAAAND the few years I've been dealing with his shop he has helped me with small things no problem... course it may play into the aptitude statement... although I consider myself only mildly experienced with these bikes still.

Has Mike ever been approached to be a member and keep us informed of the availability of parts as he used to at the 650Rider

I went to floor LMFAO when I saw MikesXS Valve Guide Tool listed in the "Suck Section" The mentality of some people who can chop the F&^K out of motorcycle but yet don't have the capability to use the proper installation technique for the guides without cracking them,I mean WTF:banghead: Mislead information right there.

650 skull
View the posts on the wiki site as individual posts.
That individuals experience with that part.
If you want to view it as a statement to their ability, so be it.
As far as the lobes go great yours went well. But there were few opinions out there (that I respect) that the lobes could use some work/reshaping.

As far as a wiki if someone wants to contribute it's there.

Back