Think it Will Rub?

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm really diggin this seat:

xs650_01.jpg

You will notice that they have basically removed the rear fender to get that long flat seat on there.

1. Do you think the tire will bottom out into the bottom of the seat pan or rear frame loop?
  2. What size rear wheel does that look like?
  3. Obviously aftermarket shocks, but do they look to be stock length?

Thanks!
Adam

It reminds me of the seat a neighbor kid made for his CB550. He took an old skateboard and chopped it to shape with a hatchet (or maybe it was a pointed rock) and fixed it on. It looks pretty cool really. There's a waist-up shot of a babe decaled on it and when he sits, he's sort of...strategically positioned.

Theyre definitely my favorite builders. On xs650chopper.com they called it a Monkey Wrench bike, there was only that pic and another with a cb350f tank on it. Actually, this is a Photoshop of the latter, with this tank pasted over it. It's obvious when they're side by side. There's no trace of it on WM's site, so I don't think it's a true WM build.

So what do we think? Is there enough clearance?

- no
- 16in ?
- they dont look shorter to me
- am not so keen on the rear caliper positioning :shrug:

oakBehringer , i love the seat. Thanks for posting this. I don't think it will rub but i will let you know if i build one and try it out .
peace

In a few weeks when I'm in my new apt I'll be working on it as well. I'll update this thread as I go. I urge you to do the same.

i dont think it will rub, i made a skateboard seat for mine too, i just flattened the fender where the seat meets it to get it to sit down. its low and the tail follows the curve of the frame with minimal cutting. actually have skateboard seats on two of my bikes. guess thats what i get for being a woodworker and not a metalworker.

There's about 5 inches of clearance there; it won't rub. With that fender, unless you're only driving in completely dry weather, expect everything under the seat to be completely covered in shit.
Judging by the angle of the swingarm and location of the tire, the shocks are stock length. The stock mags were 16" rear and 19" front.

Yeah, I was thinking of modding my fender so it could stay on there to keep the under-the-seat area clean and dry.

I think my spoked rear on my '73 TX650 is 18"?

Probably not. There is a big difference in tire profiles between the 16" and 18". The 16" is a higher profile straight-line cruising tire, where most of your 18" tires have a lower profile (also narrower) and are made for better handling in the curves, so the final overall diameter ends up being close to the same.

Back