Thinking about switching back to points

How does one plug fire in your video? I already know how a dual tower coil ignition works. I have trouble understanding how the circuit is completed to make a spark in the attached plug. Why is the yellow jumper attached to the plug? Does the other end go somewhere?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

In the video the yellow wire goes to ground to simulate the ground of the head. Without the other spark plug to provide a path for the current to get back to the coil, a small current goes through the yellow wire to ground and then through the primary winding and the capacitance of the coil winding back to the secondary. That is why the spark is so weak. The Ultimate Coil used in the video is well designed with a very high dielectric barrier between the primary and secondary so that the only path is through the capacitance of the coil. Some coils, such as the infamous "Green Monster" (which is not the same as the "Ultimate" coil) do not have a very good dielectric barrier between the primary and secondary and as a result an actual path is burned between the primary and secondary when there is no suitable path resulting in the destruction of the coil as this path is a low resistance permanent carbon track.

Points trigger system is a simple on /off switch. It's reliable, long lasting, easy to adjust (file) and easy to carry cheap spares. I've used various high discharge , electronic pick up devices in old car engines only because I was running higher lift, longer duration cams, over 10;1 compression on hemi-single plug chambers w/ 93 unleaded pump gas. I used an original distributor re-worked advance allowing me to advance the start up/ idle and retard the high end advance > 3500rpm. I just brought home a '72 xs that hasn't been started in decades and surprise has the original electronics and surprise no points...no, not a 80's system. I'll try putting some points in to attempt a start up.

Back