This Clutch! This god damn clutch!!

Have you rocked the bike in gear with the clutch pulled to try and free the plates?

I found that if the plates are stuck together and it's not letting you drop into gear without stalling, you can put the bike in 1st gear (engine off), and rock it back and forth vigorously. You'll feel some resistance until the plates free and then the bike should move around, in gear, with the lever pulled. Sometimes it's easier to do this in 3rd or 4th gear. Mess around with it.

You can also put it in gear, pull in the clutch and start kicking the kick starter. This will also free the clutch plates....and make you tired.

Hey guys and sorry for the lack of reply but im from Sydney so ive been sleeping.
The model motor i have is a 1974-75. Does that mean it doesn't have the side stand wiring gear you have spoken of?

I could post a video later if it helps but i assume the clutch is all fine as i can click it through all the gears with the motor off. It clicks into first fine but dies completely as soon as it is in, doesn't really lurch at all. Same with second. It seems like it would have to be electrical as it does it exactly the same every time. There hasn't been even the slightest feel of it still going to run after i click the lever into 1st.

I have done really simple wiring on the bike as it's a 'chopper' . There is nothing connected to the neutral switch which is located under the carbs and next to the cam chain tensioner if i'm correct?

To be honest i didn't know anything about these 'safety switches' before reading your replies.

Also i have added a reg rectifier unit from a later model bike to sort of simplify the wiring a little more.
Again let me know if you want me to post a video and ill try and get it on today.

Thanks for all the help!

Here is a video of me kicking it over. then clicking it into 1st. It does lurch forward a little.

Heck yeah man. I am not knowledgeable enough to add anything of value, but watched the vid and glad you got it sorted. XS650 just keeps on giving. Nice bike by the by.

Well, I guess I lost that bet about your bike being a 1980 or newer.
Glad you solved it. Nice bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments. I can't wait to take it around the block for a first spin tomorrow.

Awesome!! Pamcopete called it. Stupid wires, who needs 'em, lol.

Well, I'm not sure about that. He said he didn't have anything connected to the neutral switch, so perhaps one of the other suggestions finally loosened up the clutch and it was just coincidental that "earthing" the neutral switch seemed to fix the problem. Perhaps he will come back and clarify that point so we may all benefit from whatever worked.

mitchell, did you ever figure out the squeak toy that was inside your engine?

Yes yes i did. It was carb related. I took them apart for another clean and as soon as they were back on it was gone. Also this clutch problem was 100% the neutral switch. It took me 2 seconds to earth it and then the problem was fixed. Very happy, Cheers everyone!

Mitchell...,

Please, tell us exactly what the problem was. You earlier said that there was nothing connected to your neutral switch, so I am at a loss as to how my suggestion helped. It's very important to come back and brief the people that tried to help you so we can all learn and perhaps help another member.

ok, there wasn't much to it. the problem was that the bike shut off when i would shift it into gear. I purchased the project as just a motor and frame pretty much. No electrical anywhere except for the points. I assumed the neutral switch would be fine to not be in use as i don't have any dash controls telling me if i am in neutral or not. You guys mentioned about the safety switches on some of the newer models so i thought i would just try grounding the neutral switch to the frame. First time i did this it worked straight away. I can only assume that was the problem as my knowledge on bikes in general is pretty limited.

I have gone for a ride down my street just now though and have come into another problem. Not sure if it's just my clutch adjustment but it won't let me get out of 1st gear. I am shifting up like normal and the gear arm moves up fine but doesn't get into 2nd. I didn't test it too much but it also seemed like it wouldn't go into neutral either while idling once i have come to a stop. but i need to test that again to be sure.

Back