This Exhaust look straight?

Belle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is those exhaust pipes w/ the (not quite) stainless steel over tube--

If I cut these into shorty straight pipes am I committing some sort of sin?!

Attachments

• #1 034.jpg
    #1 034.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 132
  • #1 035.jpg
    #1 035.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 153
I did (see pix). I'm gonna wrap these. I like exhaust wrap. Any reason I shouldn't wrap 'em: like heat, moisture, etc...I've heard of exhaust blowing up...any good reason?

Attachments

• #1 041.jpg
    #1 041.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 125
  • #1 042.jpg
    #1 042.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 120
  • #1 043.jpg
    #1 043.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 128
Those pipes are just chromed steel outer pipes with a smaller plain steel inner pipe. They used the double wall pipes tp prevent bluing of the exhaust. The outer pipe acts as a heat sheild and won't get near as hot as the sindle wall pipe.
Wrapping the headers mau cause a bit more rust to form on the outer pipe but will have no effect on the inner pipe.
Originally the pipe wrap was used to keep the header pipes hot, this helped keep the exhaust velocity high, this improved performance somewhat on the hot rods of the 40's and 50's. Wrapping those stock header pipes won't change the heat in the pipe much at all but will look different.
Leo

Coat them with VHT exhaust paint and then wrap them. IF you are worried about moisture just don't put it away wet :)

Thankx for the reply ya mean ta help dispense heat--the paint & the wrap will do both, but don't put the wrap on while the paint is wet.(?)

Those pipes are just chromed steel outer pipes with a smaller plain steel inner pipe. They used the double wall pipes tp prevent bluing of the exhaust. The outer pipe acts as a heat sheild and won't get near as hot as the sindle wall pipe.
Wrapping the headers mau cause a bit more rust to form on the outer pipe but will have no effect on the inner pipe.
Originally the pipe wrap was used to keep the header pipes hot, this helped keep the exhaust velocity high, this improved performance somewhat on the hot rods of the 40's and 50's. Wrapping those stock header pipes won't change the heat in the pipe much at all but will look different.
Leo

Yeah Leo (& any other), I'm pretty kool about the reason ta use tape but what I'm concerned w/ is these holes in the outer exhaust & I can't seem ta find a really good reason for 'em; but, by reason, I'm supposing, they are there ta let air pressure/humidity escape or cook off because there seems about a 1/2 mm between them & the internal pipes: the only solid reason I can come up with on my own. So, I'd likely want to re-puncture those holes if I tape over 'em or keep the tape from covering, anyway.

If ya don't know that's kool but it makes sense, huh?

See pix--

In pix #2 there are 3 of these that end up hidden, mostly, just under the exhaust clamp--
In pix #1 its the only one located just before the muffler is attached & the last place, from what I can tell, of any opening that my sense (see above), therefore making sense, because the last of the inner tubing fell out proving it wasn't attached to the rest of the muffler.

:shrug:

Attachments

• #1 044.jpg
    #1 044.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 115
  • #1 045.jpg
    #1 045.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 99
On the original exhaust pipes there is an inner pipe and an outer pipe. The holes are in the outer pipe to allow expanding, heated, air to escape. When you cut your pipes you need to make sure that the new mufflers don’t let hot exhaust get between these pipes otherwise the outer pipe will get very hot. If you look at the end of the pipe you cut you should see an inner pipe. The preference is to weld the gap between these shut so the gas doesn’t flow backwards OR cut some of the outer pipe off and clamp your new mufflers to the inside piece of pipe.

As far as the VHT paint goes it is chalky until it gets backed on. Just spray them and install them, carefully, on the bike and then follow the instructions to do the three bake cycles. Then you can wrap them.

Back