This is the most breath taking video!!! Riding is dangerous!

Perhaps I misunderstand the definition of lane splitting.

To me, that's riding up the lane marker between two rows of cars. Yes?

"Sharing" a lane to me is two bikes riding side-by-side in the same lane, which is a whole other animal.

Lane sharing is the term used here in CA for many years but lane splitting is what we've been doing. Both terms are synonamous. Potayto potahto. Still, if you use your head and watch the cages "body language" it's not that dangerous. It's also not smart to lane split at higher speeds.

Edit: Just by way of clarification, my original statement was based on my image of "lane splitting" as some idiot on a crotch rocket riding down the centerline between two lanes of cars at freeway speeds.

In stopped traffic at a light, and if it's legal, then fine. Still not something I would choose to do, but understandable.

In moving traffic, at any speed above a crawl? No way, no how, but different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the info, and Ride Safe!

It's pretty common, at least overseas to be "lane splitting" at highway speeds or better and the cars will actually move over for you. I've done it down the interstate and both cars moved apart to let us through and also had one move over from the fast lane to give me room between the wall and him. Lane splitting, as an act by itself, isn't stupid. It's the nut that connects everything together that makes it stupid.

All you need to do is trust that one of the cage drivers isn't a 17 year old, late for school, texting, eating french fries, intensely worried about the hotty in the next seat in homeroom.

I've ridden a bike in LA rush hour, did lane splitting and lived to talk about it. My bud, a local handed me a neon vest and said with luck we'll survive getting through town on the way up to Monterrey.

The skill and stones of the TT racers never ceases to amaze me. :thumbsup:

Nope. To all of those videos. I'd be dead. Matter of fact, would've been dead about 8 seconds in.

Back