This is why you check EVERYTHING.............

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
...........when dealing with an unknown quantity. Couldn't get the inner clutch rod out from the left side on my used motor so I pulled the right side cover 'cause I needed to get at it from the clutch side. look what I found!

clutch001.jpg

don't know if you can tell but there's NOTHING in there!
clutch002.jpg

in the clutch rod bore was the remains of an oring, not sure where that came from
clutch003.jpg

Guess I need some new parts!:doh:

someone tried a home made clutch rod seal oil leak fix, the oring wasn't letting the push rod retract properly

Cool, that answers two questions: why the inner rod wasn't coming out, and where the hell does that o-ring go. The really cool thing is that I've wrenched on cars (professionally) and other things (bikes, lawn mowers, etc.) for over 40 years and doin' this critter has STILL taught me things. No matter, nuts and bolts are still nuts and bolts. It's great to have a site like this to bounce ideas off you guys' heads. Thanks!

No clutch plates, that's funny. I am sure the PO swore it was running when they parked it.:laughing:

Yeah dumb (or near criminal) things the PO did are endless. Last night I did a front brake R&R, PO had added brake fluid on TOP of the rubber bellows in the master cylinder!!!

By the way that looks like the remains of TWO o-rings to me.
Check for broken cush springs on the back of the clutch basket.

When I first bought mine a year ago I removed covers to check everything ... PO had no ball in the worm gear and two balls between the inner and outer push rods ... inside the right cover I found a lag bolt laying in the bottom ... How do you suppose that got in there?

By the way that looks like the remains of TWO o-rings to me.
Check for broken cush springs on the back of the clutch basket.

Yup, that's next. I'm guessin' I can blow that nut off with an impact, can I not? Or do I need to somwhow secure the basket? right hand thread?

You may need some plates 1st, lol. They lock the inner to the outer hub, enough anyway so an impact usually works. With no plates, that inner hub will just spin with the nut. And yes, normal thread.

Well whoopdiefuckindoo! I repeat, This is why blah blah blah. Thanks Gary for the reminder. now where did I put that spring repair kit? :D

clutchbasket.jpg

Dog face, your havin' some real good luck on that sucker ain't ya? If you could, maybe a post on the proceedure, with pic's, of course, on the replacement of the cush spring's. I am still dumbfounded on the 'o' ring's and clutch plate's, or the lack of. And like 5Twins stated, you can use an impact, but without the discs, she'll just spin away. Oh, by the way, congrats on winning the Pamco set.:yikes:

Dog face, your havin' some real good luck on that sucker ain't ya? If you could, maybe a post on the proceedure, with pic's, of course, on the replacement of the cush spring's. I am still dumbfounded on the 'o' ring's and clutch plate's, or the lack of. And like 5Twins stated, you can use an impact, but without the discs, she'll just spin away. Oh, by the way, congrats on winning the Pamco set.:yikes:

I was kiddin 'bout replacing the springs, don't think it can be done. the nut actually came off rather easily. Just wedged a large screw driver into both drums and against a gear and used a large breaker bar. Came off easy!

Back