Thoughts

I google imaged it and someone already cafe'd it. looks nice. Another I saw had the yello/black scheme on it. nice. 900 cc's though. out of my league. I like old lumbering bikes.

The yellow and black is 60th anniversary scheme. It's a little more traditional than the FZ09, same engine.

Posted via Mobile

Been sniffin' around, lookin' at the XSR-900.
XSR-900.jpg

I dunno. 34" seat height, and that high rear end.
My oldschool brain is havin' a hard time adjusting.

Just doodling...
XSR-900-2m.jpg

Last edited:
Why is it everything out there today is either some ginormous monstrosity, or a rocket bike? Somewhere, the concept got lost of a 'motored-cycle' (like the Xs650). Spokes. Pedals. Air-cooled. Less cylinders than my car. No windshield, saddle bags (those are for horses), or anything else that detracts from the idea that its granddaddy was a bicycle. The XSR-900 looks to have the potential to be a true neo-classic. I wish the manufacturers would just take a giant leap backwards, simplify, and go back to what makes a 'motored-cycle'.

Why is it everything out there today is either some ginormous monstrosity, or a rocket bike? Somewhere, the concept got lost of a 'motored-cycle' (like the Xs650). Spokes. Pedals. Air-cooled. Less cylinders than my car. No windshield, saddle bags (those are for horses), or anything else that detracts from the idea that its granddaddy was a bicycle. The XSR-900 looks to have the potential to be a true neo-classic. I wish the manufacturers would just take a giant leap backwards, simplify, and go back to what makes a 'motored-cycle'.
I almost bought one, but stepped back and stopped my self. I really think it is a nice reliable and good performing bike, but something is missing there for me. I wound up getting a R100 BMW used instead. I also picked up a Suzuki 2003 SV1000S. Both these bikes cost a lot less than the new Yamaha. I am into working on my bikes as much as riding them. I really do miss my XS650!

Agree, And wondering why even Triumph has gone so big ! As roads become more crowded, speeding citations go higher, auto driver skills are in decline ! Who really wants such monsters to ride. Even local road racers at PIR don't ask for such huge engines and the mass that comes with.. keep it simple stupid !

I slobbered all over one when I took the FJ in for it's 4000 mile checkup and Spring service.

As far as I know, the XSR and the FJ use the same engine, the XSR is (obviously) a naked bike. Not sure if there are suspension upgrades or not. A lot of people whine about the suspension on the FJ. Coming off a 40 year old bike, I find it amazing.

As to "why the big engine". I absolutely LOVE that engine! It's perfectly happy donking around town at 2500-3000 RPM and it pulls like a freight train all the way up to redline. If you turn traction control off, throttle wheelies WILL happen in 1st and 2nd.

Being 66, I know you don't HAVE to wring it out in every gear or ride it like Ricky Racer everywhere you go. I still get a kick out of flogging it a bit from 0-60(ish...) tho. I do find that I have to leave it in 5th on the highway or I'm doing 70. The engine has a very noticeable (and enticing...) sweet spot around 4500 RPM. In 6th, that'll get you in trouble.

I resisted the temptation to throw a leg over the XSR, but it the riding position is as comfortable for crippled up old farts as the FJ is, I'd ride one in a skinny second. The only thing I don't like about the FJ is the Transformer styling on the front. The XSR is plumb bootifull!

As a life long Yamaha fan ! Its understood about the FJ legacy.. Stompin roll on ! Comfortabel 700 mile days on my 91 , "accidental" wheel stands at high speed over rolling hills. I get that one. But Im not there anymore...

As a life long Yamaha fan ! Its understood about the FJ legacy.. Stompin roll on ! Comfortabel 700 mile days on my 91 , "accidental" wheel stands at high speed over rolling hills. I get that one. But Im not there anymore...

I shouldn't be, but I giggle like a 10 year old girl at a pajama party every time I loft the front end over the local "tickle bellies" as my kids used to call them. Leaving from a stop or corner like a big-assed bird is every bit as much fun at 66 as it was at 16.

My Sv1000 will do that too. 118hp and lots of torque. I really miss my XS650 though. I wish I did not sell it...that was a real crude basic motorcycle. Fun to ride and work on. My old BMW is mellow like the XS and a real joy to ride and listen to. I agree that fast bikes tempt you and all the power is not at all necessary, but modern brakes and handling are welcome.

Been sniffin' around, lookin' at the XSR-900.
View attachment 96844
I dunno. 34" seat height, and that high rear end.
My oldschool brain is havin' a hard time adjusting.
Just doodling...
View attachment 96846

Hi 2Many,
one buys a new bike to do what one imagines it'd be used for. Like picking up a young lady and taking off for a weekend of passion.
But look at the XSR-900's passenger accommodation.
The tallest young lady that'd fit on there would be a four foot high sex-midget.
And after your doodle?
Unless you lowered the passenger pegs by about a foot the young lady would need to be so short you'd have to use her as a vibrator.

Hi 2Many,
one buys a new bike to do what one imagines it'd be used for. Like picking up a young lady and taking off for a weekend of passion.
But look at the XSR-900's passenger accommodation.
The tallest young lady that'd fit on there would be a four foot high sex-midget.
And after your doodle?
Unless you lowered the passenger pegs by about a foot the young lady would need to be so short you'd have to use her as a vibrator.

Damn, Fred, are you getting commission on these? Where's the midgets?

Scott

Well Marty, you just checked all my boxes. I like all those bikes.
I've gone to a lot of international bike shows where most of the manufacturers show up with semi loads of bikes for demo rides and I've taken that opportunity to try a lot of different bikes out.
What I have come to realize about myself is, my preference lies with smaller, lighter , more nimble bikes. They're not very fashionable amongst the bigger is better crowd but I think they are more fun and less fatiguing to ride.
A couple of bikes that I remember as being an absolute chore to ride were the new Indian Chief and a 2000cc Kawasaki Vulcan. 950lbs of nut busting weight to try and maneuver at slow speeds. And God help you if you ever park one , nose first into a parking space ,with even the tiniest downhill grade. You'll have to call for help to back it up!

Another of the things I love about the FJ: Weight roughly equal to an XS @ 465 pounds, but better than double the horsepower.
It's really very nimble and easy to maneuver.

I've been eyeing this off for some weeks now, love the lines. I think you could do some serious miles as well without being shaken to death and have the "numb bum" i get after 4 hours.
Pretty expensive though, a big outlay for a toy, but I said that about the boat too....

IMG_3522.JPG

Back