Throttle Cable is giving me a HARD time!

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I ordered the Vintage style black housing throttle assembly from MonsterCraftsman (Pretty sweet product) But the problem is the part of the cable that hangs out of the sheathing isn't long enough, The throttle is wide open on the carb end, but its all the way closed on the throttle itself. But theres a bunch of slack on the cable itself I have a lot of excess. Do I just need to order a set of extended cables and cut them down to the desired length? Shits aggravating me to the max! lol

Thanks in advance guys!

If there is a bunch of slack on the cable itself, how can it be too short?
My on;ly guess is that you have the cable adjuster turned out instead of in. Pics will help.
Leo

From what I gathered, Its like the Sheathing around the cable itself is too long... And the adjuster is all the way in. Still wont work. Theres not enough cable hanging out. OR SO IT SEEMS!

When I said pics i meant pics of how it is on your bike. Pics of where the cable goes into the throttle and where it hooks to the carbs.
Leo

Hard to tell exactly what you're describing but could you cut the cable sheathing back a bit to give you more cable to play with?

When I said pics i meant pics of how it is on your bike. Pics of where the cable goes into the throttle and where it hooks to the carbs.
Leo

Yea i know, i just figured i would show throttle also, and ill post the other pics when i get off work. And sheathing is a b**** to cut.

Very hard to cut with the inner cable in the way. Without the inner cable I just use a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool.
Leo

The best way I've found to cut the sheathing without cutting the cable is with a wheel type tubing cutter. Cuts to a controlled depth. Pull the end boss off the end of the cable that goes to the carb. It should just be pressed on. Once the piece you are cutting away is loose, you can pinch that part loosely in a vice and score it lengthwise with a dremel cutoff wheel until it's thin, then break it open like and egg gently with a screwdriver. The end boss should not have to be soldered on. It should slide up the cable to the nice clean cut new end and press in. The saddle fitting it nests in is a good base to push it on firmly with

Hey bud sorry my response took so long, yes I actually rigged it up with some 5/16 hose, sounds crappy i know but its inside the housing of the throttle and you cant see it.

Back