Thunder Bay to BC (Canada) and back 75XS

Well try to finish this up for this year. I left Penticton and headed south going through Princeton and over a pass into Hope and the Fraser valley. Bike ran good although it does have a bit of a stumble under load and around 3500RPM. The only thing I'm really worried about is the timing chain on this bike is so worn out theres only a few threads left on the adjustor. I'm not sure if the stumble and the chain are related but it freaks me out a bit... Anyways made it to the Pacific and got on the Ferry to Vancouver Island! I was in a pack of Motorcyclists on the ferry, Most of them on 20k adventure bikes haha! I always get a few comments when they see my license plate!
IMG_2483.jpgIMG_2491.jpgIMG_2505.jpgIMG_2509.jpg

Got off the Ferry in Victoria and Headed out towards Port Renfrew. Rode the last couple hours in the dark which was actually fine aside from a few deer. I am okay with the headlight when I'm mostly alone on the road but It's terrible once you've been blinded by new lights. I got into Port Renfrew and camped for the night. Spent a couple of days there which was awesome aside from the forest fire smoke which was brutal.
IMG_2559.jpg IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2569.jpg
Headed south again but in the daylight and the road was an amazing ride in the daylight - Its all corners and up and down! just outside Jordan River my speedo quit so tried a couple things but the cable is broken... stayed at the Sooke potholes did some hiking. Rode back through Victoria in the rain stayed there and then continued up island after a spark plug change. Got to the ferry out of Comox and was the last person on the last ferry! Across to Powell River and stayed the night. Next day off south in the afternoon 2 ferries to Vancouver. Got off the ferry in the dark again and had planned to get to Squamish and stay the night. couldn't ride anymore so found a campground at around 10pm and took a site no one was on duty except the raccoons. Got up at 530 for free camping! Headed to Squamish for breakfast and washed the oil off my forks and got some brake clean... then up through Whistler and Pemberton onto the "Duffy Lake road". Its a notorious pass that is super steep single lane, switchbacks and tight corners up to 4200' I was actually traveling with a friend in convoy now in their VW bus, so finally I was faster than someone!
IMG_2621.jpg IMG_2627.jpg IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2623.jpg
Back down into A place called lilloet which is almost desert country, pretty cool road down to Lytton where the Thompson and Fraser rivers meet. the road is 1000' above the river single lane across rockslides with "no stopping" signs you look up and see another 1000' feet of loose rock! From Lytton up the Fraser canyon and into Kamloops and finally back to Salmon Arm. After a lot of deliberation I decided to postpone the trip home and fly back. I'm concerned with the timing chain on the 79' motor and its also burning oil still. Not visibly but either way I want to start fresh in the spring. Additionally its getting cold and all the campsites are closed. After 33 days of living on my bike I am ready to go home and sleep in my bed !
IMG_2630.jpg IMG_2634.jpg IMG_2642.jpg
It was an awesome adventure and I'm hoping to complete the trip back in the spring possibly through a more northern route in Canada. I am going to get the 75' engine bored and put some new pistons and a timing chain in it and get back on the road. And then keep the 79' as a spare for now and maybe do a full rebuild one day when I have some extra funds. So a total for the trip mileage is this.

33 days 2 engines.
Total 3500m or 5683 km
75' engine. 2345m or 3774 km
79' engine. 1150m or 1842 km

Back