Time for a piston replacement?

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Pistons have some carbon build up and some skirt scuffing nothing deep or that bad and my cylinders are good so I don't need a bore. Can I just chem dip these, clean them up and reuse them. Bike has around 10,000 miles on it. New STD size pistons are kinda expensive...more than oversize it seems. Should I just buy oversize and bore rather than clean up the old ones? This is my first top end job due to a leaky valve seal and would like your opinions on reusing pistons vs buying new ones

Brew, I've never seen a XS650 piston come out of a motor without a bit of scuffing, particularly on the exhaust side of the skirt. As to whether yours can still be used, only a micrometer and an accurate bore gauge will tell you that, and a good automotive machine shop will give you the numbers for cheap or in some cases free; have the bores honed before measuring. You can find clearance specs in the factory manual: free download at www.biker.net . Have the clearance between valve stems and guides checked too. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't!) at how much damage bad maintenance by a PO can do in 10K miles!

Last edited:
Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Grizld1! If everything checks out and I reuse the pistons is napa carb chem dip ok to use on pistons for carbon removal?

After you clean the carbon off the piston tops, you'll find a 3 digit number stamped on there. That's the fractional portion of the original piston size, as in 74.xxx mm. Measure your pistons now and compare to that.

Paint stripper works well for carbon removal, also old gasket removal. It usually takes a couple applications. I finish with some chrome cleaner.

Hi Brew,
you will need new rings & bore hone because the existing rings & polished bores ain't never gonna bed in nice again.
Use feeler gauges to check piston/honed bore clearance top, middle & bottom & the new rings up and down clearance in the ring grooves.

I already got new rings and will hone the cylinders this weekend then measure. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Remember "honing" is to put nice scratches for oil to lay in. Not remove metal or straighten the bore out etc.

Back