Timing Pamco + E-advancer with PMA

Pete78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just don't seem to find the answer specifically for my set up.
Where do I set my timing? I have Pamco with electronic advancer and HHB PMA.
Is it on fire or advance? and what RPM?
Thanks

Pete78,

The installation of a PMA does not change the ignition timing. It is 15 deg BTDC at 1200 RPM and 40 deg BTDC at 3200 RPM. If you have a battery, then just use the timing label that comes with the PMA. If you have a capacitor setup, then it is best to temporarily connect the PAMCO to a separate battery so you can start and run the engine while you adjust the timing.

Pete,

Is that only until you've tested the output off the PMA or whenever you time a bike with a capacitor? If the latter, is there any issue with using a battery in parallel or should the cap be taken out of the system for that exercise?

Pete78,

The installation of a PMA does not change the ignition timing. It is 15 deg BTDC at 1200 RPM and 40 deg BTDC at 3200 RPM. If you have a battery, then just use the timing label that comes with the PMA. If you have a capacitor setup, then it is best to temporarily connect the PAMCO to a separate battery so you can start and run the engine while you adjust the timing.

I have battery, so I start the engine point the light and while at 1200 the mark should be where exactly? Sorry for the stupid question, first time using a timing light. I have TDC, Fire and advance on the decal provided with the PMA.
Btdc being advanced before top dead center, do I use a protractor to find the angle?
So I move the ignition plate till the mark is at the correct angle from TDC and lock it down, now do the same at 3200 rpm? but moving the plate again at 3200 wouldn't that change the timing at 1200.
I not really understanding.
Thanks Pete for the reply.

Pete78,

At 1200 RPM, the light should be at the Fire mark. Increase the RPM to 3200 and the timing light should move to the Advance mark. Move the PAMCO plate clockwise to increase the advance and counter clockwise to decrease the advance. You have some leeway in the idle (1200 RPM advance) so use that to ensure that full advance does not go beyond the full advance mark.

As this process may take some time, place a fan in front of the engine to keep it cool while setting the advance.

Pete78,

At 1200 RPM, the light should be at the Fire mark. Increase the RPM to 3200 and the timing light should move to the Advance mark. Move the PAMCO plate clockwise to increase the advance and counter clockwise to decrease the advance. You have some leeway in the idle (1200 RPM advance) so use that to ensure that full advance does not go beyond the full advance mark.

As this process may take some time, place a fan in front of the engine to keep it cool while setting the advance.

Thanks Pete:thumbsup:, I was close, the only thing I was doing wrong is trying to get it on the fire mark at 1200 and not being so accurate at 3200.
I just ordered new VM34 carbs from 650central should I set the timing before or after installing theme.

I'd get the timing set now. Best to get that problem solved because you will most likely have carb issues to deal with later. One problem is easier to solve than two at the same time. Boy, some of you guys really do jump right in the deep end before learning to swim, lol.

I'd get the timing set now. Best to get that problem solved because you will most likely have carb issues to deal with later. One problem is easier to solve than two at the same time. Boy, some of you guys really do jump right in the deep end before learning to swim, lol.

That's exactly how my father thought me how to swim, strait in the deep. Good old eastern European mentality.:thumbsup:

hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question but is it possible somehow to set the timing without a rpm tach. just got the bike up and running with pamco but the previous owner got rid of the rpm tach. if not i guess i'll have to buy a new one.

The EZ tach is less than 60 dollars and will work on everything with a spark plug. Buying one to go on the bike will only work on that bike. You will be hard pressed to spend that little getting a tachometer on your bike.
For those of us with 3 bikes, 2 lawn mowers, a tiller, a power washer, a chainsaw, 2 trimmers and a car with no tach, it's a pretty handy item.

You don't absolutely need a tach. Just make sure the bike is idling OK (not too fast). Check idle timing and then rev the bike up and check full advance timing. The advance begins a little above idle speed, say in the 1500 to 1800 RPM range. That's why you must insure the idle speed is low enough. Full advance is reached by about 3000 to 3500 RPM. Once at these RPMs and at full advance, it advances no farther. So, just rev the bike up until the advance stops happening, as observed with the timing light. That will be at full advance.

@5twins,

thanks for the tip, i really do appreciate the help from everybody. i'm just a broke a college student trying to learn on his own to save money. i went ahead and tried to get the timing done today. although it took some time i think i finally got it down. went to go give it a test run and seems to be fine, maybe a little backfire on the left side. and after wiring the pamco and everything else, i put my headlight back on and now the light on the cluster, headlight, turn signals, and horn etc does not work. now another problem to figure out. lol

Back