timing troubles and identification help

No, I wouldn't change it to the center "F" mark. Your timing is slightly retarded and that's a good thing. It will insure you don't over advance, protect against pinging, and many of us feel the motor actually performs better with the timing set like this.

If you wanted to fool with something, the only thing I might change is to try to get both cylinders firing closer to the same spot. I would change the cylinder that is now closer to the center "F" mark, retard it a hair more to match the other cylinder.

Last edited:
My mistake, timing in regards to advance vs retard confuses me easily.

I will try that and see what I find.

Good to know, thanks.

I have removed the rod, but only by removing the points cam. Now I'm curious about the advance side. I'll look into it and report back.

I get what you're doing there. But what if I'm out of room for adjustment? I am completely up to the stop on the points plate, I've even removed the screws that hold it in place and rotated it further and that's still not quite far enough. It's close, but not doing it. Maybe there's something off about the advance rod that I've missed so far...
Ive had that problum before with running out of movement on my points adj. So i swaped pkug wires n diled it bak in and it worked out fine i got range for adjust ment both ways again but then it becomes 180 degrees out that way

Back