Timing was off, and couldn't get both points to fire.

So I wanted to wrap up this thread...
Got it all back together last week, and started it. Runs great!
However, while putting the motor together, I learned a few things about myself. First, I work to fast and I take to many changes. I broke one of the new rings (second set I purchased)....I'm an idiot!! It was the middle ring on the left side. If anyone remembers I got all new rings the first time/rebuild (where I cut the wavy ring to fit, which caused all my smoking issues). I broke the newer set middle ring, and decided to used one from the set I had just pulled out last week, it was still very new, and had a lot of spring left. All that to say, I had to use some large hose clamps as ring compressors and that worked great. (see pic) I got the motor back in and it started fine. Runs great, and no smoke.
Secondly, I and had a little oil leak (seemed big, but was small). Found out that was the advance housing seal. Had a used one lying around, cleaned up the crusty gasket, put a new gasket and o'ring on, and stopped the leak.
I've ridden it about 50 miles, and I can hear that it needs the timing chain checked, valves and points. I'll also re-torque the head down again, and be done with that.
I've got a nasty leak on the right side pet-cock that needs to be rebuilt, I'll do that this weekend.
In my time of rebuilding bikes, i've never broken more stuff, while fixing a bike. I credit it to me being overwhelmed by our move from one home/garage and wanting to go to fast.

Thanks for all the advice and support! This is one of my favorite sites.

Attachments

• IMG_7150.JPG
    IMG_7150.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 126
Don't think you're an idiot. We've all done fun stuff to learn from. I seen a fella in a Yamaha factory training center once knock out most of his teeth trying to check compression/leak down.

and he's a service manager now at a huge shop in CA. lol

There's an easy way to install pistons in a 650, and a hard way. You used the hard way, lol. But that's OK, you got it done. The easy way involves sticking the loose pistons in the bore bottom first, while it's still on the bench, then lowering the cylinder/pistons assembly down onto the rods and connecting them .....

PistonInserted.jpg

JugBlocks3.jpg

Back