Tire advice for a 1972 XS2 rebuild

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for new rubber on my 1972 XS2. I am putting this rebuild on the road but the bike has the original Dunlop Gold Seals that came with the bike in 1972. Tires have side wall cracks but other than that look new. 4,000 miles on them. Of course I am going to replace but not sure of brand that works best. Thanks for the help.

I have run Kenda Challenger's, Dunlop D404's, Bridgestone Spitfire II's and Pirrelli Route MT66's.
The Pirelli's I just put on the 81 and seem to be good tires, grip well the tar snakes don't bother.
The Bridgestone's I have on the 75 are somewhere around 3000 miles preform about the same as the Pirrelli's.
The Dunlops are a harder compound but still grip well. Last a bit longer than the Kenda's but cup as they wear.
The Kenda's grip very well, a bit better than the Bridgestone's or Pirrelli's, softer compound grips well but won't wear as well.
Others will list their favorites, you could use the search function for tire's and find this info.

Thank you for the advice and information. I will look into it. The Yama dealer where I am at says that they think the Metzler set up works well but they did not know how they would work with the 72 650. This helps. Thanks again.

Back