Tire clearance

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I'm cheap.
That's why I chose to set the rear wheel almost all the way forward when I installed the 38T sprocket for sidecar work instead of buying a new and longer chain.
It's a good o-ring chain with lots of life left in it. ScottOilers WORK!
Then I noticed the tire was rubbing on the swingarm.
Ah well, perhaps it needs skewing a bit to clear.
Nah, now it rubs t'other side.
Best I can get is a light rub on both sides.
WTF?
Looks like my 130/90-16 rear tire is too wide for the swingarm when the wheel is adjusted all the way forward.
What to do, what to do?
Swapped the 38T for the 36T I'd taken off when the bike was new and kept ever since.
Dunno why my '84 Heritage left the factory with 17/36 sprockets but it worked out OK in the long run.

just asking because a 130 Shinko I put in an HS recently was hitting the brake stay not the swing arm. bit of Attitude adjustment on the stay "fixed it"

An old trick we used to do to freshen-up and true dirt track and hard track tires, might work if your sidewalls have that overhanging pointy edge.

Bike on stand, running in gear, rear wheel spinning. Use a body grinder to trim and true-up the tire.

Takes 5 people. One to operate the bike, one to operate the grinder.

The other 3 for running commentary and beer runs...

Remove rear shocks. Pull swingarm up thru arc. Did the chain get toght where you can feel the swingarm bind? Get a extra link and put it in.

Posted via Mobile

An old trick we used to do to freshen-up and true dirt track and hard track tires, might work if your sidewalls have that overhanging pointy edge.

Bike on stand, running in gear, rear wheel spinning. Use a body grinder to trim and true-up the tire.

Takes 5 people. One to operate the bike, one to operate the grinder.

The other 3 for running commentary and beer runs...

I do this, a big ass belt sander makes it a one man operation. By varying the angle you can control wheel rotation very well. (Beer holders are needed in any shop) Last time was to trim the edges of a front tire on my wife's shadow the only front that came in white wall was a smidge wide and rubbed the fender. Used to do it with old school box stock road race tires to get the cupping off the tread blocks to reduce weave at over 100MPH

Remove rear shocks. Pull swingarm up thru arc. Did the chain get tight where you can feel the swingarm bind? Get a extra link and put it in.

Hi chizler,
a chain is tightest when the sprockets centers and the swingarm pivot are all in line so it'll loosen as the suspension moves, eh?
Ever tried adding a link to an o-ring chain?
Me neither and I doubt it'd be easy to do it right, especially the first time.
But perhaps 2many's sanding the tire trick woulda worked?
And me with a new flapper disc on my angle grinder, too.

Back