Tire manufacture date - how important?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a pair of tires for my VStrom and just received the tires today. Checked the date of manufacture and they are already 5 years old. I’m not thinking this is a good thing as many suggest you should get new rubber every 6 years. Already complained to the vendor and haven’t heard back from them yet. Should I be concerned and return them, or just slap them on and use them? Tread compound is very soft to the touch but that’s not a good way of testing whether they’re suitable for safe use.

No they came in a cardboard box with no wrap. Looks like there may have been something on them because they weren’t dirty or dusty. Maybe wrap removed prior to shipment? Don’t know that for sure.

If they were wrapped in some form of protection you'd be safe. UV is the big killer for tires. If they were properly stored, they'd last indefinitely (within reason). I don't start the clock on tires until I unwrap and mount 'em... exposing them to the elements.

If they were wrapped in some form of protection you'd be safe. UV is the big killer for tires. If they were properly stored, they'd last indefinitely (within reason). I don't start the clock on tires until I unwrap and mount 'em... exposing them to the elements.
Thx Jim, I’ll inspect closer tomorrow (they’re outside in the garage).

Bought them from Fortnine. They have been contacted and I’m hoping they’ll make this right. Seems like all the on line vendors I’ve spoken to cannot guarantee “freshness” of tires. I was essentially told you get what you get, but was also told, normally tires are X months to X years old. If they were received within that age range I’d be ok with that. None of them said 5 years old.
Like Jim said, if they were properly stored they may be ok. Problem for me is that can’t be proven. If I was sitting on 4 tires that would be a different story, but balancing on two makes me more cautious, hence this post.

I definitely agree. The reason I asked is because I just received some new tires for my 650 from fortnine, they came in a box but the tires weren't wrapped, same as you described. When I talked to fortnine, before buying them they weren't able to guarantee a manufacture date but assured me that because they sell so many tires that they would be plenty new. Turns out they were, both were manufactured in 2020. Hopefully they're able to make it right, they should be able to.

I definitely agree. The reason I asked is because I just received some new tires for my 650 from fortnine, they came in a box but the tires weren't wrapped, same as you described. When I talked to fortnine, before buying them they weren't able to guarantee a manufacture date but assured me that because they sell so many tires that they would be plenty new. Turns out they were, both were manufactured in 2020. Hopefully they're able to make it right, they should be able to.
Mine were made in 2016 :(

So you want a cheap price, a certain age & some kind of guarantee ?
You should buy tires in person or the shop should just refuse your order.
There is little profit in tires. As long as they have been out of the sun there will
be no problem. The only trouble you have is yourself.

I went to my local shop in person to buy the tires and they quoted me over 33% more for the tires. I asked about age and he said he can’t guarantee age and whatever he gets, I get.
I don’t understand your comment “the only trouble you have is yourself”?

I don't think old tires are necessarily dangerous. I ran with "new" tires that had been installed on an out of commission bike for over eight years. They looked fine. They felt fine. They drove fine. They wore out extremely fast.

I'm even worse than almost anybody, I've put on "good" used tires found for cheap. One may be as old as 2016 but they are not weather ruined or abused and the rubber passes the finger test just fine.
:)
20200104_123001-1.jpg
Don't care about the longevity at all however. Just whether or not I like them. If so, I'll pay for new ones. (Harley Tire $$)

5 years is getting a little old for new tire from a distributor, I like to see 18 months or newer. Depends on what you are running them on. If they were going on my FJR I would use them since they will be worn out by summers end. If they are going on my vintage bikes I would use them although they may be on there for the next 3 years due to lack of milage. I just recently changed my Avon tires on one of my Z1 bikes, plenty of tread however they were 10 years old. I could feel they were getting a bit questionable in the corners. The compounds do change as they age just be aware of it. If the sidewalls start cracking its also time to change.

Not sure about Canada but here in the states we don’t have any laws that govern the age of a tire at its sale and we LOVE to regulate anything associated with the production and maintenance of vehicles, so much so I think we may all be back to just walking everywhere again within the next 30 years haha.

seems to be tires are like Twinkie's - keep em wrapped up and they will still be fresh whenever crack em open.

I do see where your comin from though, no way to know their history and wanting a “fresh” tire is not a crazy thing to want. I’d imagine if they were out in the elements for some times you’d see some visual signs of it.

Thanks for the constructive comments. Just spoke to a tire supplier and they advise that their warranty on the tire begins on the date of purchase and not on the date of manufacture.

I buy tires off eBay. Have for years. Never got old tires. Usually less than two years old.
Leo

I've never had an issue running older tires. I routinely use up the tires that come on a new-to-me bike if they still have good tread. I never really checked their age but I know some were quite old. Old tires do seem to wear fast though, probably a good thing because then you get to change them, lol. I'm about to swap the original rear wheel back into my '83. It came with what looks like a practically new Dunlop and since the bike had been sitting for like 12 years, I know it's at least that old, lol. If I have any issues with it, I'll report back. I did run the bike a few hundred miles when I first got it with that tire on there and it seemed fine. The bike actually rode and handled quite nicely, so much so I've decided to revert back to this original 16" rear. Once I wear out the tire on there, I'll be respoking the wheel with stainless spokes and an alloy rim.

Back