Tire question (what sizes are you using for 18/19 combo)

Scallywag303

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
There seams to be quite a few tire sizes for the 18 rear what does everyone use and how do they handle? I was looking at some 4.00-18 but wasn't sure how well they would hold the road. I think stock was 4.50-18?. I like mountain riding with a lot of switchbacks (not knee dragging or anything), just want to make sure I have enough tire. (I know there are other threads on this but new opinions never hurt)

Also found this tire calculator lets you compare metric tire sizes side by side and gives speed diff. and circufrance, diam, width, all the fun stuff.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

4.00-18 and 3.50-19 were the original tire sizes. The metric equivalent for the 4.00 is a 110. A 120 will fit but it slows down the steering and handling. Mine came with a 120 rear. When I wore it out, I went back to a 110 and like it better. It's more than enough tire for this bike. On the front, I run a 100.

The only good reason to put a fat tire on the back of a motorcycle is to harness 150 hp being put to the pavement. For handling, you want the skinniest tires possible. (for the purpose of this discussion)

I just spooned on a set of Shinko 712s, easy to install. Zero miles so I can't comment on handling.

100/90-19 front 110/90-18 rear.

A 120 will fit but it slows down the steering and handling..........m.mOn the front, I run a 100.

Great point. Remember the contract patch, both front and rear, affect the mechanical trail. If you increase contact patch, as 5twins, it could, hypocritical example, change patch from 110 to 125mm. This would be similar to "raking" the front end in some ways. Making the steering axis LAZY.

You can figure out the math for tire swap on how it'll affect the handling of the bike.

Posted via Mobile

any suggestions for good front tires for a 19'' spoke wheel with high walls? i live in nyc and im building a 82 yamaha xs650. i need something with good grip and that is great for sharp turns as well as long rides out of the city.

Bridgestone Spit Fire 11, Pirelle Route 66. Are two I've used with good results. Didn't like the Dunlop 404.
Leo

Back